Changing Hardware

I have a small 10 user network using Win2K server. I am upgrading the server hardware and want to make sure I correctly get everything copied to the new server. I have joined the new server to the network and done dcpromo to get active directory copied. At some point I need to remove the old server. Is there any procedure that is preferred for retiring the server and making the new server the primary. The old server is called test and the new is test1. The server is the only DC and also serves as a print server and file server.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about changing hardware

    Steve

    You need to transfer FSMO roles, see if this MS Knowledge Base article can
    help you:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255690

    Best regards

    Bjorn

    "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a small 10 user network using Win2K server. I am upgrading the server hardware and want to make sure I correctly get everything copied to the new server. I have joined the new server to the network and done dcpromo to get active directory copied. At some point I need to remove the old server. Is there any procedure that is preferred for retiring the server and making the new server the primary. The old server is called test and the new is test1. The server is the only DC and also serves as a print server and file server.
    >
    >Thanks

Hardware Servers Active Directory Windows