usb ports stopped working

hi i recently plugged a digital camera into one of the usb ports on my
machine which worked fine until reboot and since then all my usb
devices/ports have stopped working i have xp home sp2. i have tried
unplugging, uninstalling devices (printer modem removable hdd etc) and the
root hubs and still nothing works i have also done a system restore and even
reinstalled windows to no availe any help would be much appreciated

"hughes1977" <hughes1977@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi i recently plugged a digital camera into one of the usb ports on my
> machine which worked fine until reboot and since then all my usb
> devices/ports have stopped working i have xp home sp2. i have tried
> unplugging, uninstalling devices (printer modem removable hdd etc) and the
> root hubs and still nothing works i have also done a system restore and
> even
> reinstalled windows to no availe any help would be much appreciated

Have you checked that the USB support from your BIOS did not somehow become
disabled? If the USB ports are enabled, they should show up in your device
manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". If there is nothing
there, this may be your problem.

yes mate i have checked through the device manager and they are there (no
conflicts) i have uninstalled them all and let windows reinstall on boot i
have put a usb pci card in now and that is working fine, so ive updated
windows hoping that it was a software issue but still the mobo's onboard usb
(front and back) wont work could the camera have shorted them by sending to
much power to them or is it just an sp2 issue

> yes mate i have checked through the device manager and they are there (no
> conflicts) i have uninstalled them all and let windows reinstall on boot i
> have put a usb pci card in now and that is working fine, so ive updated
> windows hoping that it was a software issue but still the mobo's onboard
> usb
> (front and back) wont work could the camera have shorted them by sending
> much power to them or is it just an sp2 issue

Neither scenario is likely. USB devices draw power - they don't provide it,
so I doubt your camera could have damaged anything. If anything, your
camera would be damaged if something went wrong with the USB ports. SP2
might be the problem is the ports stopped working immediately following the
SP2 install. Otherwise, this is probably unlikely as well - particularly if
a PCI USB interface does function.

If USB is enabled in your BIOS, it's more likely that your USB on the
motherboard is bad or the header cables are loose/disconnected.