EVGA 8800GTX Core clock 575, 621 or 626

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Final preparation to place my order tomorrow. Buying two of these and I noticed that they have 3 different 8800GTX with different core clocks. I'm not savvy enough to determine whether the 40 buck difference between each setting is worth it. The 575 mhz going for 540 bucks, the 621 mhz going for 585 bucks and the 626 mhz going for a whopping 650 bucks.

I am going to use two in sli. Do I care about this? Should I perhaps bite on the 621 mhz?

Your thoughts?

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Man :roll: you aint gonna even utilize the power of one of those 8800 power eaters :D

Just by the standard unless you are gaming on a 40 inch screen then definitly get the 8800 overclocked :lol:

sorry but this post makes me :lol: :lol: :lol:

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Im not sure but i think EVGA allows their cards to be OC'ed (only read this at this forum so it might be wrong) otherwise you would void your warranty if you OC yourself.
Need the power, get the factory clocked ones, but im sure even the cheapest would be enough for any game atm.

DoubleE460

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I would go for the slower ones... but thats me... here is my argumentation:

If you are going SLI I doubt that you will ever notice any significant ingame performance diff's between the slowest and the quickest card. Only diffs you will see is in benchmark values.
In a blind test I can assure you that no one can tell the difference... how can you see if it's 140 or 160 fps? ...see FEAR bench below:

8800gtx_sli_fear.jpg

Besides, even if you have the slower card you can allways OC it... in general a slower card has higher OC capacity than a pre-OC'd one, meaning that in the end they would not be far from each other.

I assume that you are going to play at 1920x1200 and higher with all bling-bling turned on. The breakpoint for getting any advantage from SLI goes at a res of 1600x1200. The higher you get above that the higher gain compared to a single card. If you are blessed with a 30" LCD with a 2560x1600 native resolution... wow...

Whatever choice.... I'm drooling... :D

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
go with the slowest and overclock you will probably be able to get the speeds of the middle one
the middle one will prob OC to the speed of the top one
and the top one probably wont overclock all that well at all

personally i would go with the middle one and overclock if i was buying two 8800gtxs in SLI

vpsaline

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Ya, buy the cheapest and overclock it yourself to the speeds of the middle "superclock" one, they both share the same stock cooling so reaching those numbers should be easy. The third one "KO ACS3" has a different cooler I believe.

Get the low end, get an aftermarket cooler (zalman) and OC it...you will probably be able to take the core from 575 to at least 610, maybe not so much a gain on the memory...and getting two and going SLI is way overkill unless you've got a 40" LCD!

Truth is, given they are set to release the R600 and the 8900, I would hold off a few months to see what they are like before getting a new gpu...but hey, it's your money!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You should just buy one for now, unless you are going to run games at really high resolutions with high quality settings. There's now a $300 version of the GTS, you should go for that one.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
How do you tell a guy who is about to make his purchase, to wait a few months?! That's like telling a dog not to eat the steak. In reality, I have a 8800GTX now but its running on an AMD 4400 and the overclocking makes it unstable. Best 3DMark score I have been able to get is 7624. Well, hearing of numbers over 10k, how can a man not take notice....lol. The total before shipping is $3734 and that includes two of the base model EVGA 575 mhz. My wife is going to sh*t!

I have been building my own computers for over 10 years and what has been true since the very beginning is that within a few months (sometimes less), a newer model comes out. Sure, the 8900GTX may be out within a few months but what are we talking? A couple hundred dollars price drop on two 8800GTX. Not that significant. And I'm not a hardware whore. I don't have to have the absolute latest. I usually got 2 years at least before I rebuild.

Thanks for your opinions.

DoubleE460

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
You should just buy one for now, unless you are going to run games at really high resolutions with high quality settings. There's now a $300 version of the GTS, you should go for that one.

He asked about choosing between one of the three 8800GTX's for a SLI configuration. Not a single 8800GTS.

Someone who is commited to a SLI rig is also most likely playing at resolutions and settings that would require a SLI config, not at 1024x768 res on a 17" screen...

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I ended up going with the those of you who recommended the middle one at 621mhz. I mean, if I'm 4k into it, what's another $70?

Thanks for the advice everyone

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Isn't it rather ridiculous having someone who's about to spend more than $1000 on 2 GTX's asking if we all think it's a good idea to save some money?
Dude, if money is no object (which in your case it obviously isn't) what do you care? If you can afford the best there is, why are you hesitating?
If you want my honest opinion, no matter which version of the cards you buy, you ARE throwing away money. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying that since you are doing it, do it with a little less guilt.