Outlook notes not syncing with XDA thru Activesync

May 26, 2005 5:48:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

I used to be able sync outlook notes with my xda2.

Now I cannot.

It says "Attention required" under Notes in the ActiveSync window. When
I click on :"Resolve Items..." I get an "Information Type Not
Synchronized" Error. With text: "Items of one or more information types
cannot be synchronized. Disconnect and reconnect your device. To view
all error messages and dialog bozed that require your input, you must
connect to this computer via infraren or serial/USB cable."

I DID NOT INSTALL ANYTHING NEW BEFORE IT HAPPENS. My the last thing i
did besides the usual texting, is write new task and new alarm note
thru Pocket Informant. (My suspect is alarm notes in Pocket Informant.)

Actions I took and results:
1. Reset XDA2 -> Didn't work
2. Restart MS ActiveSync in PC -> same
3. Reset XDA2 and restarted PC -> same
4. Uninstalled ActiveSync and installed ver 3.8 -> same
5. Detect and Repair Outlook -> same
6. Scanpst -> same

Interestingly, when I enable/disable synching of Notes, there is an
effect in the Files, so I think Activesync still syncs Notes (as i
suspect it treats Notes as files), but just reports an error.

Questions:
1. Has anyone encountered this?
2. What was your solution save a hard reset?

Thanks.

Addl Info:
OS: Pocket PC Ver 4.20.0 (Build 13252)
Processor: Intel(R) PXA263
ROM: 1.66.00WWE, 2/20/04
Radio: 1.08.00
Protocol: 1337.18
ExtROM: 1.66.165

Applications:
ME PhonePlus
ListPro
MemMaid
Pocket Informant
PocketPlus
PhatNotes (eval)
Full Screen Keyboard (eval)
MS Reader
MySport Training
ConverterCE
Quickey
PocketGammon
GameBox Gems
GameBox Classics
Monopoly
Fifa 2002
Pocket Artist
Flashplayer ActiveX
Lextionary
Pocket Gambler
Quote of the Day
Chess
MS Money for PocketPC
Pocket Mechanic
CityTime
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:50:28 PM

deviliscious888@gmail.com <deviliscious888@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interestingly, when I enable/disable synching of Notes, there is an
> effect in the Files, so I think Activesync still syncs Notes (as i
> suspect it treats Notes as files), but just reports an error.

It doesn't treat Notes as Files, even though they're kept in the My
Documents folder on the PDA. When you enable/disable anything, ActiveSync
will go through a complete sync again.
--
Brian Tillman
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

Two things you didn't mention.

Look at the notes "notes" at
http://BevHoward.com/ASync.htm#Notes

Try running the "forms" mentioned at http://BevHoward.com/ASync.htm#Forms

hth,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
May 26, 2005 7:46:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Hi,

Refer -- http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305544 &
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299625 for possible solutions.

--
Regards,
Raj Pillai

<deviliscious888@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I used to be able sync outlook notes with my xda2.
>
> Now I cannot.
>
> It says "Attention required" under Notes in the ActiveSync window. When
> I click on :"Resolve Items..." I get an "Information Type Not
> Synchronized" Error. With text: "Items of one or more information types
> cannot be synchronized. Disconnect and reconnect your device. To view
> all error messages and dialog bozed that require your input, you must
> connect to this computer via infraren or serial/USB cable."
>
> I DID NOT INSTALL ANYTHING NEW BEFORE IT HAPPENS. My the last thing i
> did besides the usual texting, is write new task and new alarm note
> thru Pocket Informant. (My suspect is alarm notes in Pocket Informant.)
>
> Actions I took and results:
> 1. Reset XDA2 -> Didn't work
> 2. Restart MS ActiveSync in PC -> same
> 3. Reset XDA2 and restarted PC -> same
> 4. Uninstalled ActiveSync and installed ver 3.8 -> same
> 5. Detect and Repair Outlook -> same
> 6. Scanpst -> same
>
> Interestingly, when I enable/disable synching of Notes, there is an
> effect in the Files, so I think Activesync still syncs Notes (as i
> suspect it treats Notes as files), but just reports an error.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Has anyone encountered this?
> 2. What was your solution save a hard reset?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Addl Info:
> OS: Pocket PC Ver 4.20.0 (Build 13252)
> Processor: Intel(R) PXA263
> ROM: 1.66.00WWE, 2/20/04
> Radio: 1.08.00
> Protocol: 1337.18
> ExtROM: 1.66.165
>
> Applications:
> ME PhonePlus
> ListPro
> MemMaid
> Pocket Informant
> PocketPlus
> PhatNotes (eval)
> Full Screen Keyboard (eval)
> MS Reader
> MySport Training
> ConverterCE
> Quickey
> PocketGammon
> GameBox Gems
> GameBox Classics
> Monopoly
> Fifa 2002
> Pocket Artist
> Flashplayer ActiveX
> Lextionary
> Pocket Gambler
> Quote of the Day
> Chess
> MS Money for PocketPC
> Pocket Mechanic
> CityTime

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:30:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Thanks for the tip. I followed instructions specified in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299625 because it seemed more
relevant to the problem:

1. I enabled CDO. -> Didnt work
2. Made sure mapi32.dll is in system32. -> didnt work

Any reasons why this happens? It seems like this has been an old
activesync problem with threads dating as far back as 1998.

Hasn't microsoft resolved this old issue?

Need help please.

thanks

Raj Pillai wrote:
> [...]
> > connect to this computer via infraren or serial/USB cable."
> >
> > I DID NOT INSTALL ANYTHING NEW BEFORE IT HAPPENS. My the last thing i
> > did besides the usual texting, is write new task and new alarm note
> > thru Pocket Informant. (My suspect is alarm notes in Pocket Informant.)
> >
> > Actions I took and results:
> > 1. Reset XDA2 -> Didn't work
> > 2. Restart MS ActiveSync in PC -> same
> > 3. Reset XDA2 and restarted PC -> same
> > 4. Uninstalled ActiveSync and installed ver 3.8 -> same
> > 5. Detect and Repair Outlook -> same
> > 6. Scanpst -> same
> >
> > Interestingly, when I enable/disable synching of Notes, there is an
> > effect in the Files, so I think Activesync still syncs Notes (as i
> > suspect it treats Notes as files), but just reports an error.
> >
> > Questions:
> > 1. Has anyone encountered this?
> > 2. What was your solution save a hard reset?

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 4:34:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

In BevHoward.com/ASync.htm#Notes you said:

"Move them completely out of the two "My Documents" folders on both the
PC and PPC."

Question: I do not see notes files in the "Device My Documents" folder
in the PC. I used to see this in the PPC though. When you say move you
meant the files right? You do not mean moving them out of the notes
folder in outlook and moving them to let's say another pst file. just
confirming.

"Once Notes sync is re-established, you should be able to move the
Notes files back _on the PPC only_ and sync again."

You still mean the files right?
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 7:34:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

I renamed all mapi32.dll to mapi32.old. I ran outlook and did detect
and repair. I also ran forminst.exe. --> I am still getting notes sync
problem.
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 5:57:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

First, know that my suggestions may not be a solution, but worth persuing.

The confusing part about notes is that they exist on the PPC as disk
files, but when they are synced, they convert into Outlook PIM Database
objects and do not exist as files on the PC.

However, if notes is not checked as a sync option, the notes files on
the pocketpc then sync as files _and prevent the notes sync option from
being checked in activesync_

Since everything in the main memory "My Documents" folder and _all_
folders below "My Documents" (not just the first level) is synced, and
_all_ folders below the sync folder on the PC are synced, it is
essential to remove every .pwi and .wav file to another location and
sync in order to re-enable the notes sync check box.

Once the notes sync is checked, you can then move the .pwi files on the
pocketpc back into the my documents folder and they will be synced into
outlook only.

hope this succeeds,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:36:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Hi,

If the issue is not solved create a new pst file and import the contents
from the old pst file. Although the document might sound not relevant, the
steps are explained in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305544.

--

> [...]
>> > connect to this computer via infraren or serial/USB cable."
>> >
>> > I DID NOT INSTALL ANYTHING NEW BEFORE IT HAPPENS. My the last thing i
>> > did besides the usual texting, is write new task and new alarm note
>> > thru Pocket Informant. (My suspect is alarm notes in Pocket Informant.)
>> >
>> > Actions I took and results:
>> > 1. Reset XDA2 -> Didn't work
>> > 2. Restart MS ActiveSync in PC -> same
>> > 3. Reset XDA2 and restarted PC -> same
>> > 4. Uninstalled ActiveSync and installed ver 3.8 -> same
>> > 5. Detect and Repair Outlook -> same
>> > 6. Scanpst -> same
>> >
>> > Interestingly, when I enable/disable synching of Notes, there is an
>> > effect in the Files, so I think Activesync still syncs Notes (as i
>> > suspect it treats Notes as files), but just reports an error.
>> >
>> > Questions:
>> > 1. Has anyone encountered this?
>> > 2. What was your solution save a hard reset?

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 9:36:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition (More info?)

Raj...

My feelings are that recreating the pst file is too radical a step to
ask a user to go through to solve the notes sync issue plus the kb
article references a completely different problem that this user describes.

I have been able to resolve this a number of times over the years with
the steps mentioned in other posts and am hopeful to do so in this case
as well.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 1:52:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

Just to confirm that I got you:

1. Uncheck Notes as sync option.
2. Move all *.pwi and *.wav (why wav?) from "XDA My Documents" (this is
the exact name) in my PC to another location.
3. Sync
4. Move back all *.pwi files.
5. Check Notes as sync option
6. Sync

thanks
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 3:11:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

This is what I did and the results:

1. Uncheck Notes as sync option. -ok
2. Move all *.pwi and *.wav (why wav?) from "XDA My Documents" (this is

the exact name) in my PC to another location. -ok
3. Sync -ok
4. Check Notes as sync option and sync -Notes: Needs attention - same
problem as before
5. Deleted all notes in outlook and sync -Notes: Needs attention - same
problem as before

I am losing my hair on this. Help please.
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:38:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

your response indicates that you took action only on the PC...

you have to clear all notes and .wav files (voice notes) from _both the
pc and the ppc..._ at that point, there cannot be any resolution issue
since there are no notes on either device, so you sync and the
resolution should clear.

If you do the above and still get a resolution issue, it means that you
still have notes somewhere.

Check also after this sync and cofirm that no notes show in the notes
file menu on the ppc and that no notes exist in Outlook.

When you put them back, you can only put them back on the PPC... if you
put them back on the pc, you have recreated the resolution issue.

Once they are returned to the ppc (pocketpc) only and you sync, the sync
process will then put them back on the pc... they will not be put back
on the pc as files, rather as outlook "objects" that are stored in the
outlook database file.

hope this stems some hair loss.
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 6:11:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.outlook (More info?)

I searched device thru Resco File Explorer and looked for *.pwi and
*.wav files. The only pwi files it found in the device are templates
under device\my documents\templates and under device\windows. Do I also
need to delete these templates?

As for the wav files, the only ones I found are ringtones under
device\windows. I dont think they are relavant, are they?

Thank you for bearing with me and continuing to help me. The notes
synchronization is critical for me.
!