Buying a new video card? READ THIS.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
This article sums it up...and it sucks for everyone who bought a video card or monitor recently that doesn't have HDCP and wants to watch videos with their PC.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_hdcp_lcd_roundup/

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Yes, I realize it's from March, 2006. Just, there seems to be a lot of newbs on here lately and I wanted to bring it to attention if I could.

Find me a article or thread about the latest HDCP/HDMI vid cards? I'm looking for a cheapo to toss in my HTPC. Got that? Lots of 4 letter abbreviations starting with H. I think the industry likes to confuse the hell out of consumers. I would prefer the card be fanless as well. Any help would be appreciated. I plan on using it with my Mitsubishi 55" tv, as my monitors aren't HDCP capable, thus the HDMI connection preferred.

I was thinkin about getting the Gigabyte GV-NX76G256HI-RH. The mobo I'm putting it in is a sock 478 with a PCI-E x16 slot and a 2.4ghz P4. The mobo is ASRock.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
AnyDvd...nice. I had the preview version of it and I know it's popular but...I couldn't figure out how to keep it from chopping up even an older movie into 5 parts....yeah.

As far as the 7900GS's...good card, about what I'm looking for too since I'd prefer to get a card I could use for LAN parties at my place too. An extra somewhat capable system would be nice. You think it's matched well with my P4 Milch? I was thinking more around the 7600GT would match my P4 better, but not any of them seem to be HDCP capable. Are all 7900GS's HDCP?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
WTF is this HD crap?

"Allows you to watch movies over a digital display connection, without HDCP compliant graphics card and HDCP compliant display. No need to buy an expensive monitor. Sweet!"

Wow. Think it really works? You know what I think? I think they think people can't tell a difference between true HD and upscaled analog. You don't honestly think that's true HD do you? Looks like a software upscaler to me.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
EWiz has my X1650 for $132. Seems high compared to better cards but...it's about what I'm looking for. A bit on the weak side maybe. 7900GS sounds about right, know of any with HDCP and an HDMI port with a fanless cooler?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The bottleneck is the mainboard bus. I think it's 400 or 500mhz with up to 800mhz. But the P4 I have is 400mhz I believe. The X1650 I'm looking at is perfect, but a quiet 7900GS for a lil more would be a lot better.

DatmanII

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Wow. Think it really works? You know what I think? I think they think people can't tell a difference between true HD and upscaled analog. You don't honestly think that's true HD do you? Looks like a software upscaler to me.
AnyDVD is just a background decrypter, it works with other software.

I couldn't figure out how to keep it from chopping up even an older movie into 5 parts....yeah.
What was the program you were using with it, I've had no problems with this and CloneDVD2.

DatmanII

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

The two I mentioned above, AnyDVD & CloneDVD, That's all I use for DVD's. Tried a few different ones in the past, but they were the best and easiest.
They'll come out with more and better features over time, I've been using them for about 2 or more years now, so have friends & family.

X1650XT would be my choice for the graphics.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Yeah, I'd eventually sell the system and drop in my current mATX system, an FX-55 with 2 gigs of ram and an X1900 AIW probably. Then I'd use the GTS in my SLI system with a second and build a new comp for LAN'n.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

The two I mentioned above, AnyDVD & CloneDVD, That's all I use for DVD's. Tried a few different ones in the past, but they were the best and easiest.
They'll come out with more and better features over time, I've been using them for about 2 or more years now, so have friends & family.

X1650XT would be my choice for the graphics.

Sweet. How much is that f'n software gonna run me though? I eventually want to go rackmount and put all my systems in one box, but it's expensive. I'll use one rack (3 or 4U) as a file storage/print server too with Windows Home Server (due later this year) and then raid-5 so I won't lose anything. Until then I'll be jostling a raid-1 with my dual 160gig WD's.

The X1650 is over $100 though, and it's gotta be a fanless one for silence. I'd suffer through the noise for awhile if I bought an 8800. Another question I have is...which version of Vista would work best with an HTPC or should I just go with XP MCE? The card I choose would have to be Vista supported, and I doubt that's an easy find to add into the equation.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Honestly? That was a bit insulting...
Now you're just no help at all...
Sigh.

I'm already way ahead of you on both research...you're late with the links...and I wanted knowledge, not links. :)

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Links I've been to don't help me though... LOL

I'm asking for help in determining the best for my needs, not looking for crazy links I'm already researching. Help me find the most powerful silent solution under $200.

Passive cooling, HDMI port. Under $200. Best gaming power available. Find me a 7900 or X1900 (+) under $200 with an HDMI port that's passively cooled and I'll let a burly guy named Bob give you head the way you like it while I don't observe. :p

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Find me a article or thread about the latest HDCP/HDMI vid cards? I'm looking for a cheapo to toss in my HTPC.
This is the reference you are looking for regarding the current list of HDCP ready cards:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1071342

BTW, Mpilch is a 7900 fanboy (sorry, Mpilch, no ill-will intended). When it comes to video performance, the X1950Pro has it all over any of the 7900's. In fact, it has been tested to be more on a par with the 7950GT. Also beware that there is a difference between HDCP ready, or certified, and a card advertised as HDCP or HDCP compatible. Read the list. As far as HDMI is concerned, you shouldn't be worried about that. The standard is going to be revised in the future, and if you must have the connection you can get a DVI to HDMI converter, or an add-in card.

More about HD content playback, here:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2886

Happy reading.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Do you work for HIS or AMD? I said quiet...that card isn't quiet. I would rather have an X1300 for $100 than a $200 louder card when I can get an HDMI port on it, or an 8800GTS for $86 more. That card is a horrible buy. Period.