Error loading operating system

new hard drive maxtor 40gb, setup with max bast 3 ,
format nt, win2000 pro setup and boot from cd.

restart, error ligne "Error loading operating system"
I allready try fixdsk and fixmbr with no result. any
suggestion ?
5 answers Last reply
More about error loading operating system

    Your controller can't find your drive. The hardware may have failed or
    possibly the drive size isn't supported by the controller.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "patrickm" <patrick_mohr_99@yahoo.com> wrote in news:199ce01c44d7b
    $93c95d20$a301280a@phx.gbl:

    > new hard drive maxtor 40gb, setup with max bast 3 ,
    > format nt, win2000 pro setup and boot from cd.
    >
    > restart, error ligne "Error loading operating system"
    > I allready try fixdsk and fixmbr with no result. any
    > suggestion ?

    The problem is likely with max blast (or any disk translation) software.
    Disk translation software is not compatible with Windows NT/2000. If
    your system BIOS/hard drive controller does not provide support for
    large drives and you are using max blast to partition it that will not
    work. Give us more details about your system and how you are setting up
    Windows.

    Leonard Severt
    Microsoft Enterprise Support

    rights.

    the system is not the best but was working with the same
    type of hard drive before

    motherboard Tyan S1854 TRINITY 400 with last drivers in
    date rev. 1.07, bios 4.51PG
    cpu 1000Mhz (INTEL P3)
    Extended memory 1309696k
    cache memory 254k

    video 3dfx voodoo 5500
    sound soundblaster live 5.1
    NETWORK 3COM 10 MBPS

    DRIVE MAXTOR ; MASTER DISK CHS,UDMA 66,40981MB

    You'll want to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or CD-Rom. The set of four
    install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the
    \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or
    makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

    Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system)
    in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify
    additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer
    supplied Windows 2000 driver for your ultra dma controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    "patrick" wrote:
    | the system is not the best but was working with the same
    | type of hard drive before
    |
    | motherboard Tyan S1854 TRINITY 400 with last drivers in
    | date rev. 1.07, bios 4.51PG
    | cpu 1000Mhz (INTEL P3)
    | Extended memory 1309696k
    | cache memory 254k
    |
    | video 3dfx voodoo 5500
    | sound soundblaster live 5.1
    | NETWORK 3COM 10 MBPS
    |
    | DRIVE MAXTOR ; MASTER DISK CHS,UDMA 66,40981MB

    Yes this time the setup pass ! but your explication seem
    a bit confuse for newbee... so the trick was to setup
    windows on the "add additionnal hard drive (F6)"

    Thanks Dave

    Ps: this also work on XP ?

Hard Drives Microsoft Windows