Wireless "limited or no conectivity."

whathuh

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I've had my Thinkpad T43 for a little over a year now, and my suite at school has a wireless router connected to someone else's computer. I'm fairly certain that last year, it worked fine, and I could get a connection and everything. This year, it's a different story.

Each time I connect, I get no connectivity (but I am connected, and the signal strength is strong). When I renew my IP address, it fails. I had problems refreshing my DNS Cache, but I solved that by fixing a service. I've already applied the winsockXP fixes, and still no gain.

One of the strangest things is that it is ONLY this router that is failing me. The school's access points are fine, as well as my wireless router at my house. What's more, is that I and my roommate are the only ones who can't connect to the wireless router. There are 4 others who can.

I believe the router is a D-link, but I don't know the exact specs.

G

Why is the wireless router connected to a computer instead of the school's network? Is the computer setup for Internet Connection Sharing?

Grumpy

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Grumpy asks a good question that I will ask more generally...

How is your suite-mate's router cabled into the schools' network?

Also, unless there is some reason your suite-mate wants to create a separate sub-network, the router should be put into access-point mode.

Finally, make sure he does not have MAC address filtering enabled.

whathuh

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Well, he has it connected directly to the LAN, but he is using a wired connection through the router to connect his laptop.

While I don't understand the purpose of it, the network is also passworded, so I believe it is a sub-network.

I will reiterate here that other people can connect, and I used to be able to connect, and it is only this router that is the problem.

Just recently, I've had loads of problems getting all my services to start as well, so Wireless Zero Configuration fails to start automatically, and even my themes aren't starting. If I can't get this working by Wednesday, I'm thinking of just using my system recovery and restore my defaults.

G

Most laptops have 2 wireless utilities. The built-in Windows one and the one from the wireless adapter vendor. Have you tried switching management utilities?

Grumpy

whathuh

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
So yeah... I have this "Access Connections" which should work. Except that each time I try to use it, it says the radio isn't on, and freezes when I try to turn it on. I'm giving up on trying to fix it, and I'll just start from scratch.