formatting win2000

how do i format windows 2000 while it's running. i keep
getting message that says that the volume cannot be
locked. someone please save me!! reply to my e-mail if
you must

You can't. To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install
CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install disks can be created from
your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom
and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow
the prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"psychomantis" wrote:
| how do i format windows 2000 while it's running. i keep
| getting message that says that the volume cannot be
| locked. someone please save me!! reply to my e-mail if
| you must

Greetings --

It sounds like you're trying to format the drive containing the
system volume from within Win2K. You can't. This would be the
computer equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and
Win2K is "too smart" to allow this.

Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"psychomantis" <mantis31@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> how do i format windows 2000 while it's running. i keep
> getting message that says that the volume cannot be
> locked. someone please save me!! reply to my e-mail if
> you must

Well, think about it this way - you're trying to saw off the limb of a tree,
while standing on that limb. Doesn't work too well, does it?

If you want to reinstall your OS, boot from the W2k CD and go from there via
a new installation. You can delete/recreate your partition and format it
then.