bob54321

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
HI,
I have a new desktop and two older Maxtor drives which i want to get the files off.
I bought this usb to ide adapter called `EASY IDE`. this allows me to plug in the hard drives externally through a USB 2 port.
Problem is it has installed correctly but the drives only appear in the device manager .They wont show in `my computer`. When i try and look at the volume through device manager no values will show up and it says the data is unreadable.
I know that both hard drives were working fine.
Any body got any suggestions as to what is happening?

You need to assign a drive letter to the drive. Go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer management->Disk Management. Right click on the drive and choose to assign a letter. After that it will appear in my computer.

bob54321

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Yes , i have .Despite what it says in the instructions it only works in XP when the jumper is set to master.Even then it is only recognised in device manager. In the other jumper settings it wont even do that.The drives seem to be spinning fine when connected up.
This is the easy ide i have.
easy ide
Appears to be manufactured by this company,although they dont seem to have any support whatsoever on their website.
manufacturer
If it helps any the harddrives are both by Maxtor,a model D740X-6L and an older model 91024D4

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
You download it. Burn it to a CD. Stick it in the drive. Reboot off the CD.

When it comes up you will have a working Linux system. Try to access the hard drive (don't ask me where it will have mounted it, I'm afraid, you may have to dig around for it, I can't remember where Knoppix mounts USB things...)

Eru

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Hi.
Knoppix'll probably show up the USB disks on the desktop.
If it is not there, the disks are not loaded.
Knoppix is known to have some slight issues with NTFS, so don't try to move stuff if the partitions are NTFS.

You could also try taking the disk out of the enclosure and hooking it up to a computer as slave. If you are able to read the files, you probably have a bad USB enclosure.
Try connecting the enclosure to a different computer. Sometimes this trick works.