Changing Boot Options

I've got Linux starting with a bootloader for Lindows. When I select
Windows from the Linux boot menu, it then brings me to the Windows XP
bootloader. There I can choose among Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows
XP. Windows 2000 was loaded into a folder on the Windows 98 "C" Drive.
Windows XP is on the Second Disk using an NTFS format.

I want to eliminate the XP installation and put in on another computer.
Then I want to install Windows 2000 into the NTFS formatted space on disk 2
where XP is at present.

I know that I can wipe out XP. I know how to install Windows 2000. I don't
know how to adjust the XP bootloader so that it will only show Windows 98
and Windows 2000.

I also suspect that I'll have to reinstall the Linux Lindows bootloader.

Any thoughts before I start this would be appreciated. Thanks.

You'll need to edit boot.ini These articles may help. Or post boot.ini so we
can have a look.

Purpose of the Boot.ini file
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q99743

BOOT.INI and ARC Path Naming Conventions and Usage
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q102873

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Richard S" wrote:
| I've got Linux starting with a bootloader for Lindows. When I select
| Windows from the Linux boot menu, it then brings me to the Windows XP
| bootloader. There I can choose among Windows 98, Windows 2000 and Windows
| XP. Windows 2000 was loaded into a folder on the Windows 98 "C" Drive.
| Windows XP is on the Second Disk using an NTFS format.
|
| I want to eliminate the XP installation and put in on another computer.
| Then I want to install Windows 2000 into the NTFS formatted space on disk
2
| where XP is at present.
|
| I know that I can wipe out XP. I know how to install Windows 2000. I
don't
| know how to adjust the XP bootloader so that it will only show Windows 98
| and Windows 2000.
|
| I also suspect that I'll have to reinstall the Linux Lindows bootloader.
|
| Any thoughts before I start this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect

Here is the etc/lilo.conf from Lindows

> # Generated by jiffyboot version 5.0.97. If this file is edited, the
> # system will stop modifying it. To allow the system to resume
> # management of this file, remove it and run /sbin/jiffyboot.
>
> boot=/dev/discs/disc0/disc
> install=/boot/cboot.b
> message = /boot/splash.lilo
> map=/boot/map
> fix-table
> lba32
> prompt
> delay=70
> timeout=70
> other=/dev/hda1
> label=MS_W<>_98/2000
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23
> label=L<>|_4.5.122
> vga=0xf04
> root=/dev/hdb6
> initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.23.gz
> append="resume=/dev/hda6 resume_block=0x2014"
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23
> label=Redetect
> vga=normal
> root=/dev/hdb6
> initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.23.gz
> append="noresume redetect resume=/dev/hda6 resume_block=0x2014"
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.23
> label=Diagnostics
> vga=normal
> root=/dev/hdb6
> initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.23.gz
> append="noresume resume=/dev/hda6 resume_block=0x2014 single"

Does any of this help?

Dave Patrick wrote:
> You'll need to edit boot.ini These articles may help. Or post boot.ini so we
> can have a look.
>
> Purpose of the Boot.ini file
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q99743
>
> BOOT.INI and ARC Path Naming Conventions and Usage
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q102873

Appears Windows XP is currently installed to the second partition on the
second drive (drive1) If you're installing Windows 2000 to the same
partition then change it to;

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional2" /fastdetect

The linux stuff is unknown to me.