Moving Win2k HDD from one Computer to Another

I want to physically move a master HDD from one computer box running Windows
2000, and I want to have the same Windows 2000 running in a new computer
box.
Previously, when I tried this I ended up with a BSOD and was forced to
reinstall Windows 2000 anew.
I'm thinking that if I blow away all the devise drivers from within the
devise manager, and do the physical switch. Then when I power up in the new
computer box, Windows 2000 would detect and reinstall most of the drivers
needed.
Can anyone one comfirm that this is how it must be done to avoid a complete
reinstall? Or if you have a better way for doing this, please let me know.

For your help and insight, I THANK YOU!
TTFN
JMMach

Greetings --

Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the
old one (same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the
very least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and
subsequent hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"JMMach, MCSC" <jmmach@gtoNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> I want to physically move a master HDD from one computer box running
Windows
> 2000, and I want to have the same Windows 2000 running in a new
computer
> box.
> Previously, when I tried this I ended up with a BSOD and was forced
> reinstall Windows 2000 anew.
> I'm thinking that if I blow away all the devise drivers from within
the
> devise manager, and do the physical switch. Then when I power up in
the new
> computer box, Windows 2000 would detect and reinstall most of the
drivers
> needed.
> Can anyone one comfirm that this is how it must be done to avoid a
complete
> reinstall? Or if you have a better way for doing this, please let me
know.

> For your help and insight, I THANK YOU!
> TTFN
> JMMach

Thanks Bruce for the speedy response.
TTFN
JMMach

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> Greetings --
>
> Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the
> old one (same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
> to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the
> very least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and
> subsequent hot fixes):
>
> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175
>
> What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
>
> If that fails:
>
> How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;
Q249694

> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "JMMach, MCSC" <jmmach@gtoNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > I want to physically move a master HDD from one computer box running
> Windows
> > 2000, and I want to have the same Windows 2000 running in a new
> computer
> > box.
> > Previously, when I tried this I ended up with a BSOD and was forced
> > reinstall Windows 2000 anew.
> > I'm thinking that if I blow away all the devise drivers from within
> the
> > devise manager, and do the physical switch. Then when I power up in
> the new
> > computer box, Windows 2000 would detect and reinstall most of the
> drivers
> > needed.
> > Can anyone one comfirm that this is how it must be done to avoid a
> complete
> > reinstall? Or if you have a better way for doing this, please let me
> know.
> >
> > For your help and insight, I THANK YOU!
> > TTFN
> > JMMach

How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"JMMach, MCSC" wrote:
|I want to physically move a master HDD from one computer box running
Windows
| 2000, and I want to have the same Windows 2000 running in a new computer
| box.
| Previously, when I tried this I ended up with a BSOD and was forced to
| reinstall Windows 2000 anew.
| I'm thinking that if I blow away all the devise drivers from within the
| devise manager, and do the physical switch. Then when I power up in the
new
| computer box, Windows 2000 would detect and reinstall most of the drivers
| needed.
| Can anyone one comfirm that this is how it must be done to avoid a
complete
| reinstall? Or if you have a better way for doing this, please let me know.
|
| For your help and insight, I THANK YOU!
| TTFN
| JMMach

when i had this prob. i install a generic pci ide controller card and
connected the hdd to it. once the os had booted and detected the new
ide controller i removed the card and connected it onto the m,board.
worked fine ok
bob

--
bob251