Moving Win2k HDD from one Computer to Another

I want to physically move a master HDD from one computer box running Windows
2000, and I want to have the same Windows 2000 running in a new computer
box.
Previously, when I tried this I ended up with a BSOD and was forced to
reinstall Windows 2000 anew.
I'm thinking that if I blow away all the devise drivers from within the
devise manager, and do the physical switch. Then when I power up in the new
computer box, Windows 2000 would detect and reinstall most of the drivers
needed.
Can anyone one comfirm that this is how it must be done to avoid a complete
reinstall? Or if you have a better way for doing this, please let me know.

For your help and insight, I THANK YOU!
TTFN
JMMach
4 answers Last reply
More about moving win2k computer another

    Greetings --

    Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the
    old one (same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
    to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the
    very least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and
    subsequent hot fixes):

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

    What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    If that fails:

    How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "JMMach, MCSC" <jmmach@gtoNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > I want to physically move a master HDD from one computer box running
    Windows
    > 2000, and I want to have the same Windows 2000 running in a new
    computer
    > box.
    > Previously, when I tried this I ended up with a BSOD and was forced
    > reinstall Windows 2000 anew.
    > I'm thinking that if I blow away all the devise drivers from within
    the
    > devise manager, and do the physical switch. Then when I power up in
    the new
    > computer box, Windows 2000 would detect and reinstall most of the
    drivers
    > needed.
    > Can anyone one comfirm that this is how it must be done to avoid a
    complete
    > reinstall? Or if you have a better way for doing this, please let me
    know.

    > For your help and insight, I THANK YOU!
    > TTFN
    > JMMach

    Thanks Bruce for the speedy response.
    TTFN
    JMMach

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings --
    >
    > Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the
    > old one (same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
    > to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the
    > very least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and
    > subsequent hot fixes):
    >
    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175
    >
    > What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952
    >
    > If that fails:
    >
    > How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;
    Q249694

    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "JMMach, MCSC" <jmmach@gtoNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
    > > I want to physically move a master HDD from one computer box running
    > Windows
    > > 2000, and I want to have the same Windows 2000 running in a new
    > computer
    > > box.
    > > Previously, when I tried this I ended up with a BSOD and was forced
    > > reinstall Windows 2000 anew.
    > > I'm thinking that if I blow away all the devise drivers from within
    > the
    > > devise manager, and do the physical switch. Then when I power up in
    > the new
    > > computer box, Windows 2000 would detect and reinstall most of the
    > drivers
    > > needed.
    > > Can anyone one comfirm that this is how it must be done to avoid a
    > complete
    > > reinstall? Or if you have a better way for doing this, please let me
    > know.
    > >
    > > For your help and insight, I THANK YOU!
    > > TTFN
    > > JMMach

    How to Move a Windows Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249694

    HOW TO: Replace the Motherboard on a Computer That Is Running Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824125

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "JMMach, MCSC" wrote:
    |I want to physically move a master HDD from one computer box running
    Windows
    | 2000, and I want to have the same Windows 2000 running in a new computer
    | box.
    | Previously, when I tried this I ended up with a BSOD and was forced to
    | reinstall Windows 2000 anew.
    | I'm thinking that if I blow away all the devise drivers from within the
    | devise manager, and do the physical switch. Then when I power up in the
    new
    | computer box, Windows 2000 would detect and reinstall most of the drivers
    | needed.
    | Can anyone one comfirm that this is how it must be done to avoid a
    complete
    | reinstall? Or if you have a better way for doing this, please let me know.
    |
    | For your help and insight, I THANK YOU!
    | TTFN
    | JMMach

    when i had this prob. i install a generic pci ide controller card and
    connected the hdd to it. once the os had booted and detected the new
    ide controller i removed the card and connected it onto the m,board.
    worked fine ok
    bob

    --
    bob251

Computers Hard Drives Windows 2000 Windows