replacing registry with backup

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I recently loaded a copy of Kaspersky antivirus. After evaluating it, I
decided to remove the software & continue to use Norton 2002.
Unfortunately, though I've uninstalled the Kaspersky, it seems to have
blocked my access to Norton AV. Re-installed Norton, but still when
right clicking the Norton tray icon, "open Norton AV" is dimmed. Double
clicking produces nothing. I removed all references to Kaspersky from
the registry, still nogo. I did backup the registry prior to installing
Kaspersky, (using "export registry" in regedit) but I don't know how to
REPLACE the existing post-Kaspersky registry with this saved copy.
"Import registry file" seems to just add what may be missing new vs old,
not REPLACE the present registry (e.g., I tired the import option, yet
the references to Kaspersky were still in the registry, which they could
not have been, had the old pre-kaspersky file overwritten the new one).
How can I replace the post Kaspersky registry with the old one? I
have a dual boot dual os system, so I can modify the os in question from
the other os. Maybe there's some other way of re-enabling Norton AV,
but I don't know what it might be.

TIA

Dan

Exporting the entire registry to a *.reg file is not an acceptable means of
backup. You can't import the entire registry. If you run
Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Backup, then choose ERD, then if you check
the box for "Also backup....", then the reg will also be backed up to
%windir%\repair\RegBack
leaving the
%windir%\repair\
directory files intact as original installation.

Repair, Recovery, and Restore
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/samplechapters/fndc/fndc_rec_uctu.asp

You can replace registry hives from within the recovery console by copying
the files from
%windir%\repair\regback
%windir%\system32\config

You may be able to pare the keys you need out of your *.reg file if you can
figure out which ones. Symantec has a registry removal tool for this purpose
for their products. Perhaps the other vendor also has one you can use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dan" wrote:
|I recently loaded a copy of Kaspersky antivirus. After evaluating it, I
| decided to remove the software & continue to use Norton 2002.
| Unfortunately, though I've uninstalled the Kaspersky, it seems to have
| blocked my access to Norton AV. Re-installed Norton, but still when
| right clicking the Norton tray icon, "open Norton AV" is dimmed. Double
| clicking produces nothing. I removed all references to Kaspersky from
| the registry, still nogo. I did backup the registry prior to installing
| Kaspersky, (using "export registry" in regedit) but I don't know how to
| REPLACE the existing post-Kaspersky registry with this saved copy.
| "Import registry file" seems to just add what may be missing new vs old,
| not REPLACE the present registry (e.g., I tired the import option, yet
| the references to Kaspersky were still in the registry, which they could
| not have been, had the old pre-kaspersky file overwritten the new one).
| How can I replace the post Kaspersky registry with the old one? I
| have a dual boot dual os system, so I can modify the os in question from
| the other os. Maybe there's some other way of re-enabling Norton AV,
| but I don't know what it might be.
|
| TIA
|
| Dan

Dan