Sign in with
Your question

Intel chipsets vs AMD chipsets

Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2007 1:51:31 PM

Anyone knows what process technology Intel uses to produce their own chipsets internally and how does it compare from a process technology standpoint with AMD's chipsets which I believe still runs at foundry(ies) (UMC, TSMC?). Also if you have info on roadmaps for either company on what future plans they have for these products. Is AMD going to transfer their some of their chipstes internally?

Thanks much
X.
February 27, 2007 1:52:24 PM

Quote:
Anyone knows what process technology Intel uses to produce their own chipsets internally and how does it compare from a process technology standpoint with AMD's chipsets which I believe still runs at foundry(ies) (UMC, TSMC?). Also if you have info on roadmaps for either company on what future plans they have for these products. Is AMD going to transfer their some of their chipstes internally?

Thanks much
X.

Intel P965 chipset: 90nm
AMD RS690 chipset: 80nm at TSMC
February 27, 2007 2:24:33 PM

I cannot comment on wich process they do use.... I honestly do not know (although the poster above me is probably correct !) anyway it seems interesting to me that if he is correct why they would be behind the main CPU in process tech ? With AMD I can see it wouldnt be as much of a problem but on the Intel side it seems to me that they would want to match up the CPU and chipset better ?

Im interested to know if Intel switched to faster chipset chips on a better process would they be able to increase FSB ? Im sure some one here knows :) 
Related resources
February 27, 2007 2:40:02 PM

Quote:
I cannot comment on wich process they do use.... I honestly do not know (although the poster above me is probably correct !) anyway it seems interesting to me that if he is correct why they would be behind the main CPU in process tech ? With AMD I can see it wouldnt be as much of a problem but on the Intel side it seems to me that they would want to match up the CPU and chipset better ?

Im interested to know if Intel switched to faster chipset chips on a better process would they be able to increase FSB ? Im sure some one here knows :) 

Tell you the truth, I don't know how much of a problem is having chipsets behind or much different in process technology since the ASP's are lower my guess is you would want them to be manufactured using older technology to keep the cost down. I don't have much understanding there so that's why I am looking for info and opinions. I am also curious if AMD plans to run future chipsets internally.
a c 96 à CPUs
February 27, 2007 3:30:37 PM

975X is 130nm, as are the 955X and 945. Intel generally makes chipsets on the process node that's one size larger than most of their CPUs. This allows them to get yet more use out of the equipment.
February 27, 2007 4:50:40 PM

That's right. I think they're working on a 65nm process technology to couple with Penryn, but I have no idea which chipsets were 90nm (if any).

I believe Intel's 90nm was all 300mm, where as all current NB and SB chips are done on 200mm (130nm as MU said). Where are our Intel moles when we need them? :-D
February 28, 2007 1:27:23 AM

You really need to look at the mobo's on case by case: for intel - nvidia are usually better for gaming and supposed a little faster - as far as raid i think nvidia is more stable but then again it depends on the mobo.

i build a lot of raid systems and the p5w-dh is rock solid raid with 975 but the p5dw2-e premium is not as stable with the same chip set. I have been running a raid10/0 for 6 months i have not had reset the raid once - even though i am running vista rc-1 on the raid 0 and had force many reboots due to program in compatibility

i think with amd its same the nvidia chip set is better - most the mobos i .
use all have nvida chipsets.

Sorry i mis read your question - well maybe this infor helps someone
!