Any major future releases?

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I'm about to build myself a second computer (once the dx10 cards release) and am still not sure what route to go. I've actually served quite a bit of time in Iraq recently, so I'm not up to par with what releases are expected. I remember hearing about the Conroe project from Intel awhile back, and am currently using an AMD 3800+ x64 with an nVidia 7900GT. I'll begin researching extra whenever I get the time at home, but would appreciate any information from you all that can guide me in the right direction.

For example, is the Conroe still the prime target? I've also heard of quad-core processors, and am not sure if that's a bit overkill or the functionality with any OS. And finally, I've heard about the whoel new mobo setup.. AM2 I believe? Should I just sell the computer I have sometime and completely build a new one with this new AM2 setup? And lastly, if I do, what all will I need to change? My guess would be the socket would be different for the processor, but I'm questioning if PCI-e will still be supported on it, or if the ram sockets would be the same size.

Any guidance would be much appreciated, and I'll look more into this as soon as I get the chance. Thanks again!

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Right now high-end get an Intel C2D.
Mid you get to pick between C2D and Intel depending on preferance.
If you want to OC the lower end Intels are good OC'ers and push mid-range towards Intel.
Low-end I'd suggest AM 2's.

Only things new will be AMD's Barcelona(no time soon don't worry about it)
Also DX10(needs vista/Nvidea 8800 or newer(8800 is only card currently supporting DX10)).

Quad core is around way expensive Intel, AMD will release within a year.
I don't see quad-core being the way to go for at least a year.

DD2 isn't looking to be replaced by DDR3 anytime soon.
Make sure to get SATA drives not IDE.

That's about it for an oversimplified tech status.

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
wow, thanks for the help there.

Well, if I were to build a new computer in, say, about the middle of this year, are there any parts I should keep my eye out for? That is, for both a new graphics card and processor. If I steer away from my AMD/nVidia setup, I'll also gladly get another mobo. Or are there any specific models to look out for?

And lastly, about how much longer will it be untill the new AM2 setup should really be invested into? Thanks again for all your help

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
The only thing to keep an eye out mid year is barcelona/ATI DX10 cards.
No one really knows much about if they'll be out/what they'll be.
Other than that there won't be much new by then.
Perhaps a vista SP1.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
In the high-end, Intel is supreme right now with the X6800, QX6700 and even the E6700. In the low-mid-range, if you don't overclock, things are actually fairly evenly split between Intel and AMD in terms of price/performance. The E6600 is a very popular processor, delivering really good performance for a reasonable price. Between it and the E6700 in terms of price and performance is the highest AMD X2 processor at the moment, the 6000+. At the super low-end, AMD runs the show at the moment with the X2 3600+ and 3800+ (though the E4300 is creeping down in price). Both of those are very energy efficient and the 3600+ has been known to overclock pretty well (one of the new 65nm parts that actually hasn't disappointed at all). There are a lot of options at a lot of price points for those who aren't going to overclock or who aren't going to overclock a lot.

If you overclock and have any decent amount of money to throw around, Intel is probably going to be the way you want to go. Anything from the E4300 to the E6600 could be what catches your eye, depending on how much you have to spend and how comfortable you are with overclocking.

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
hah, wow. The X6800 and QXC6700 look like one DAMN quick way to thin out your wallet. Maybe that's a bit too extreme for me atm. At those prices, I'd think I'd stick w/ the extra mile and get a quad-core cpu. I'm not going for the BEST computer, but something along the lines anyways..

I'm looking at the e6700 right now, and am considering getting it, though I'll need a completely new mobo that would support the socket. I take it this is a good cpu to OC?I'm thinking as for now, the best bet would be to wait it out for the release of the Barcelona, and maybe there'll be a price drop once those come out and I'll be more focused on what I want. I want to upgrade from my 3800+ badly, but I can imagine if I just waited a bit later, it'd be much more rewarding. As for ATI/nVidia, are any of the two showing a more dominate future ahead, or is it still mainly opinionated as it's always been..

And on that note, is there any other news I should know about the new mobo configuration at all? I just don't want to get stuck buying a brand new system and have a new mobo released that everyone's getting the month after I bought this one, because I tend to have some bad luck with that.. But I'll look into this new setup a bit more now that I have the time.

And thanks again for all the help everyone! I'm now pretty tempted to go for the e6700, but we'll see in a second.

EDIT: Ok, so I finally saw a bit more info on the AM2. I guess it's just simply the new socket for AMD processors. Nothing too special, considering I believe I'm sticking with Intel next time.

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
oh wow... significant price drop in April :D

Sounds like now matter what, I'm going to at least wait till then anyways.

But does anyone know if Intel is releasing a new socket sometime at all, as AMD is?

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
hmm, I might consider holding back a bit. I'm still not too good at knowing how to OC, and Ill have to work on a cooling system first I can imagine.

And did you mention that amd is releasing the 2900? Is this an AIT/AMD release or something? Hah, I'm slow on this stuff.. sorry
And what's this H2 you mentioned? Thanks again everyone

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
aww.w.. gotcha to Q3 or something of the like. But ya, I'm about.. 90% sure it's going to be an Intel.. Just wish April would come around a bit faster..

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
aww.w.. gotcha to Q3 or something of the like. But ya, I'm about.. 90% sure it's going to be an Intel.. Just wish April would come around a bit faster..

Intel is releasing the new Bearlake chipsets. I would assume these will be compatible with the 45nm Penrynn that is gonna stomp everything in early 2008. Any how I would definately wait for the new chipset if possible.

http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-1751-view-gigabyte-GA--P35-Dq6-bearlake.html

"Bearlake- X - > Support processors with four core, DDR 3-1333, 2 slots PCI Of express x16, PCI express 2.0, announcement in the third quarter of 2007;
Bearlake- P - > DDR 3-1066/ DDR 2-800, 1333 MHz bus, announcement in the second quarter of 2007;
Bearlake- G - > DDR 3-1066/ DDR 2-800, 1333 MHz bus, Intel clear video technology, DirectX 9.0c, announcement in the second quarter of 2007;
Bearlake-G+ - > DDR 3-1066/ DDR 2-800, 1333 MHz bus, Intel clear video technology, DirectX 10, HDCP, announcement in the third quarter of 2007;
Bearlake- Q - > DDR 2-800, 1333 MHz bus, Intel AMT2, VT- d, announcement in the second quarter of 2007;
Bearlake-QF - > DDR 2-800, 1066 MHz bus, announcement in the second quarter of 2007. "

gigabyte-GA-P35-Dq.jpg

GlacierFreeze

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Yep, as they said AMD is releasing Barcelona (server chip!, quad-core) this summer and they are releasing Agena (desktop chip!, quad-core) probably in fall. By the time you decide to get a new computer, there should be some benchmarks of the lower clocked Barcelona chips circulating to give you a general idea of how the higher clocked desktop Agena's will perform (but better because higher clocks and unbuffered RAM). There will be a similar dual-core version, I think it's called Altair (desktop) that comes out after release of Agena.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Ha, that would be pretty funny if it was named the Altair. The altair was the first desktop PC in the loosest sense of the word. It had no monitor or keyboard or even ports to speak of. Input was done through a series of switches... I watched a video of it in my technology class and I remembered thinking "what the hell is the point?" but I guess it was made so that people could figure out what to do with it...

Anyways enough of my off-topicness. If you can wait I would suggest waiting. If you can't get a C2D :) .