Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Image quality: DTV vs Analog 2006

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 18, 2004 4:46:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I do not yet have an HDTV, one reason is the quality of analog cable
channels. Just wondering if (when) the cable systems are mandated to
move to all digital in 2006, are current digitial (not HDTV) channels
any better image quality than analog? Or are digital channels really
compressed? Obviously the HDTV signals are much better than my
existing analog or digital, but I have limited channels on my current
cable system (antenas & dishes are not allowed where I live).


JCPZero
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 7:06:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

JP wrote:
>
> I do not yet have an HDTV, one reason is the quality of analog cable
> channels. Just wondering if (when) the cable systems are mandated to
> move to all digital in 2006, are current digitial (not HDTV) channels
> any better image quality than analog? Or are digital channels really
> compressed? Obviously the HDTV signals are much better than my
> existing analog or digital, but I have limited channels on my current
> cable system (antenas & dishes are not allowed where I live).
>
> JCPZero


I think the display/conversion of the analog TV Signal

on a digital TV set is the problem in some cases.

Depending on the quality of BOTH the Analog TV signal

and the conversion 'Guts' in the digital TV...

the digital display results are all over the map...

bad/bad(sick) bad/good(OK) good/bad(OK) good/good(nice)....


The other fact is... OTA local stations must convert

to a digital TV signal... I believe Cable TV can

continue to offer an Analog signal if they wish?
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 8:56:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"JP" <jcpzero@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:6f915d52.0408181146.713e104f@posting.google.com...
> I do not yet have an HDTV, one reason is the quality of analog cable
> channels. Just wondering if (when) the cable systems are mandated to
> move to all digital in 2006, are current digitial (not HDTV) channels
> any better image quality than analog? Or are digital channels really
> compressed? Obviously the HDTV signals are much better than my
> existing analog or digital, but I have limited channels on my current
> cable system (antenas & dishes are not allowed where I live).


Cable systems are under no mandate - only broadcast.

I have Comcast (analog/digital cable + HD digital cable) + HD over-the-air

My impressions.
When the analog cable is tight (no ghosts, leaks, snow etc), the quality of
most analog cable channels is BETTER than digital cable on MOST digitial
channels - notably due to ugly artifacts from over-compression on some
channels.

HD quality - both cable and OTA depends on the material but is ALWAYS much
better than either analog or "digital" cable.

Why are you not "allowed" to have an antenna or dish?
If you have a yard, patio, deck or balcony under your control, federal law
REQUIRES that you be allowed to install an antenna or dish regardless of
rules of your landlord or condo/neighborhood association and/or covenants.
Related resources
August 19, 2004 1:04:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<nJWdnd88DaAaX77cRVn-sA@comcast.com>...
> "JP" <jcpzero@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:6f915d52.0408181146.713e104f@posting.google.com...
> > I do not yet have an HDTV, one reason is the quality of analog cable
> > channels. Just wondering if (when) the cable systems are mandated to
> > move to all digital in 2006, are current digitial (not HDTV) channels
> > any better image quality than analog? Or are digital channels really
> > compressed? Obviously the HDTV signals are much better than my
> > existing analog or digital, but I have limited channels on my current
> > cable system (antenas & dishes are not allowed where I live).
>
>
> Cable systems are under no mandate - only broadcast.
>
> I have Comcast (analog/digital cable + HD digital cable) + HD over-the-air
>
> My impressions.
> When the analog cable is tight (no ghosts, leaks, snow etc), the quality of
> most analog cable channels is BETTER than digital cable on MOST digitial
> channels - notably due to ugly artifacts from over-compression on some
> channels.
>
> HD quality - both cable and OTA depends on the material but is ALWAYS much
> better than either analog or "digital" cable.
>
> Why are you not "allowed" to have an antenna or dish?
> If you have a yard, patio, deck or balcony under your control, federal law
> REQUIRES that you be allowed to install an antenna or dish regardless of
> rules of your landlord or condo/neighborhood association and/or covenants.


So it sounds like all digital won't help much in 2006. The focus
needs to be more HDTV channels. The allowed comment is mostly my
homeowners association.
JCPZero



JCPZero
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:48:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"JP" <jcpzero@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:6f915d52.0408181848.7f8b1eb0@posting.google.com...

> So it sounds like all digital won't help much in 2006. The focus
> needs to be more HDTV channels. The allowed comment is mostly my
> homeowners association.

Federal law specifically says that your homeowners' association has NO right
to deny you an antenna or dish.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Let your association know.
!