computer fixes itself....not good.

atles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I built my computer a couple months ago and its had this problem. Whenever i turn it off it needs about 8 hours to turn back on...otherwise the fans will turn on but the sytem wont boot. And ive just come across another problem that i think points out the main boot problem. When i did boot it up again after 8 hours went by, after the windows xp boot screen it took about a minute for 2 gigs of ram to get to my desktop and even then it couldnt load the icons or processes. Is this a common problem with RAM. i have corsair ddr2 xms2 800 ram. It has run fine for the past 2 months wiht no prob, but its only when i turn my pc off.

cattbert

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I have never heard of a similar problem. If you think it is the ram then I would suggest trying it out with just one dimm in there at a time, trying both (I am assuming 2 x 1gb) of them individually. That should determine if it is the ram, as it is highly unlikely that both modules would be playing up at the same time. (I am assuming you already looked in the BIOS and determined that the ram is being recognized correctly.)

Poxal

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
after the windows xp boot screen it took about a minute for 2 gigs of ram to get to my desktop and even then it couldnt load the icons or processes.

I dont quite understand what you mean here. Sounds like something may be overheating? You would get a better response for help if you would list your system specs. Mobo, ram model number, psu, etc.

atles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
sorry bout my wording...never was good at describing tech problems.

Alright i have a biostar tseries tforce 965PT mobo
core 2 E6400
7900 gs
PSU XION | XON-600F14T-201 600W powersupply
Corsair (XMS Series)
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

when i check my temperatures in the overclocking software, although i dont OC, my ram temps are at the end of the red zone. And everything else is cool.

...and its not a problem with windows

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Might not make a difference, but it can't hurt to try. Try setting your BIOS failsafe defaults and/or resetting the CMOS. If there is a newer BIOS available for your motherboard you could try to flash it. At least you can eliminate problems with the BIOS this way.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
My guess is that it must be the PSU.

That is an internally inconsistent statement. It is POSSIBLE that the PSU is not good - but personally, I would blame a bad Windows install. There is no hardware "memory" which would stop the machine from booting after it has reached an equilibrium temperature (room heat).

Try Windows Safe Mode, and do some intensive benchmarking of memory and CPU in that mode to establish if it is drivers which are the problem.

Try the boot floppy version of Memtest86 (The windows version can NOT test all your RAM).

Try removing peripherals one by one - that is always a good way to find if a component is faulty.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The power supply capacitors can hold power for many many hours.
All other hardware components will return to room temp very quickly and see no further significant state change. I have seen this issue quite often in external power supplies but less often in internal power supplies.

Windows System Files and Registry will not change at all over time while the PC is off.

Secondly, the issue is the system will not even post.
This rules out any Windows drivers.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The power supply capacitors can hold power for many many hours.
All other hardware components will return to room temp very quickly and see no further significant state change. I have seen this issue quite often in external power supplies but less often in internal power supplies.

Windows System Files and Registry will not change at all over time while the PC is off.

Secondly, the issue is the system will not even post.
This rules out any Windows drivers.

I second him!

Windows can't be altered after shutting down your system, unless you throw your HDD out the windows :wink: .

Can you at least access the BIOS when you turn your system back on within less than 8 hours? If so, I'm totally confuse.

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
A buddy of mine had a similar issue and it turned out to be the mobo. First try updating the BIOS and clearing the CMOS. Then run memtest and if it passes the test, then look into getting a new board or RMA your current board.

atles

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
i had reinstalled windows no change....and why would it be the power supply exactly when i turn it back on it reacts slower than normal.

Running a memory test now...been going for about 50 minutes now..hope thats ok...dont really know what results to expect, not sure what its testing and how.

This may be a noob question, but how would i flash the bios with a newer version. and would i loose anything

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
If you are talking about Memtest, 2 hours without an error is good, means the RAM is not the problem, probably. On the file you downloaded was there a text file? If not you might need their utility program ( you will need both if this is the case. One of them should have a short text file on how to flash the BIOS safely.