Cannot get past examining disk in setup

MB: AX6L bios R1.51d. 80GB Western Digital hd. CPU 333.
Presently running Win98se and trying to install Win2000
Pro with service pack 4. After I reach the point in setup
where it examines the disk and I agree to license
agreement this is what pops up:
unpartitioned space 82351mb
unpartitioned space 24158mb
c: unknown 831050
unknown 265613mb
I have chosen each of the above, deleted existing
partitions and let Win repartition but I cannot get past
this point. I just keep restarting and going right back
over the same things. Is there something else I need to
update to enable this setup? Any help would be appreciated

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Just Me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> MB: AX6L bios R1.51d. 80GB Western Digital hd. CPU 333.
> Presently running Win98se and trying to install Win2000
> Pro with service pack 4. After I reach the point in setup
> where it examines the disk and I agree to license
> agreement this is what pops up:
> unpartitioned space 82351mb
> unpartitioned space 24158mb
> c: unknown 831050
> unknown 265613mb
> I have chosen each of the above, deleted existing
> partitions and let Win repartition but I cannot get past
> this point. I just keep restarting and going right back
> over the same things. Is there something else I need to
> update to enable this setup? Any help would be appreciated

Sounds like a translation utility. Did you install a hard drive translation
utility to allow your bios to read beyond its HD capacity? If you did, rerun
Western Digital's diagnostic tool to uninstall it.

From Win98, you could have run "winnt32 /checkupgradeonly" to read the
resulting compatibility log file.