Can SP4 be downloaded, burned to CD and...?

Greetings.

I'm new to this newsgroup (well, relatively new, anyway) and very new to
Windows 2000 Professional.¹ I've made a couple passes at installing the
OS and encountered some flakey behavior, so I've decided to start over
again. And next time, upon completing the initial installation, I will
immediately apply SP4.

I'd like to install SP4 from a CD vs. from Microsoft's website.² I'm
planning on asking a friend to create this CD for me and...
MY QUESTION IS THIS: can this friend download SP4 from the MS website and
burn it onto a CD, such that I can then pop that CD into my computer and
install the service pack from there?

If the answer is "yes", I'm assuming my friend should download the
"Network Installation" version; not the "Express Installation" version.
Is this correct?

Will appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Thanks.
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
_____________________
1. The version I'm installing is the original shrinkwrapped version of
the product which I received (from MS) just prior to the public launch of
Windows 2000.
2. Note, the reason I want to install from CD is that I don't want to be
connected to the 'Net for any length of time, without first having the
MS-recommended security patches in place. So, my plan is to follow the
installation of SP4 with the installation of all recommended MS security
patches (also from CD) followed by the installation of basic firewall and
anti-virus software. And these last two, I may download directly to my
harddrive, after having already applied the above mentioned security
patches.

Shawn

correct on both counts. Network installation is the one you want.

Shawn

"Crazy Horse" <nospam@all.is.best> wrote in message
[...]

In article <e$f$r1gUEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, wckdwld47@yahoo.com
says...
> correct on both counts. Network installation is the one you want.
----------------------
Many thanks for the quick reply. I've already e-mailed my friend to see
if he can help, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Andy

With the right tools, you can create a bootable CD with
sp4 on. See the following links:

http://www.3iii.dk/computer/W2Kboot.htm
http://old.bink.nu/bootcd/#Extract

Hope this info is useful.