Sign in with
Your question

Quick temp question

Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2007 3:06:43 PM

:?: Hi,running E6600 with Intel DG965WH MB and 2GB PC6400 DDRII,7950GT, WD250GB SATA.

Not really having any issues however CPU temp at idle is around 55'C.Is that normal? Also no overclock.Thanks.

More about : quick temp question

February 27, 2007 3:26:15 PM

That's pretty warm. You should idle ~35C. Did you put thermal grease between the chip and sink? Check to make sure your heat sink is seated properly. It shouldn't wobble and should be flat against the chip. Also, you may just need more airflow though your case to cool it down.
Hot chips have low lifetimes, so you need to cool that thing down.
February 27, 2007 3:30:20 PM

Is that full-load or idle?

If that's idle it is a bit hot and I'd check your full-load it's probably getting warmer than you want. I'd download core temp and perhaps the Intel thermal tool to check full-load temps. I wouldn't want mine over 65C full load(mines 55) but you don't have to worry/throttling/warnings don't usually come on until 70-80.

That is above normal C2D temps though.
Related resources
February 27, 2007 4:50:42 PM

Quote:
Is that full-load or idle?

If that's idle it is a bit hot and I'd check your full-load it's probably getting warmer than you want. I'd download core temp and perhaps the Intel thermal tool to check full-load temps. I wouldn't want mine over 65C full load(mines 55) but you don't have to worry/throttling/warnings don't usually come on until 70-80.

That is above normal C2D temps though.

:arrow: Thats idle,where do I get These tools(checked Intels website,found nothing)?Unit came with thermal pads(stock Intel HS/fan),appears to be solidly seated,One thing I noticed was that CPU fan RPM is hovering around 890,set fan control to aggressive,did nothing.
February 27, 2007 5:03:10 PM

Look in bios for option for no fan control.
Get the fan going at max and see if it helps.
Or perhaps try another fan on top.
Or see while open if it seems to be moving much air.
February 27, 2007 5:20:44 PM

Quote:
Look in bios for option for no fan control.
Get the fan going at max and see if it helps.
Or perhaps try another fan on top.
Or see while open if it seems to be moving much air.

:arrow: Played with fan control in bios,not doing anything,plenty of airflow in case (Antec3000) 2 x 120mm fans,all SATA cables,Temp always hovers around 55/56'C.
February 27, 2007 5:35:19 PM

lol glad you linked I was going to then got lazy/distracted with work.
February 27, 2007 5:44:08 PM

8) Thank you.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2007 5:54:36 PM

Glad to help. :D 
February 27, 2007 6:11:50 PM

Quote:
Glad to help. :D 

:arrow: Thank you dude!All thoses utilities you recommended(downloaded all 3)confirm that The Intel DG965WH hardware monitoring utility in the bios is full of s#&t.My CPU temps are running at around 40'C(core 1)and 41'C(core 2).They all can't be wrong I,m sure.Thanks for Your help,much appreciated.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2007 6:17:00 PM

If you post your temps and variables as shown in the Guide, I will analyze your temps for you. :D 
February 27, 2007 6:36:45 PM

Is that the core temps or the general CPU temp? If it's core temp then it's ok, but if it's just the general temps then the core maybe running too hot. FYI Mine was running a little hot with the stock cooler, and I had to get a better one, but I wanted to overclock too.
!