Is it okay to overclock 24/7?

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I am building a computer now. Short list includes the Intel 6700, two 8800GTX, 2g memory, etc. I have never overclocked in the not so distant past, overclocking seemed like more of a hacker thing. Now, overclocking almost appears to be expected which brings me to my question.

I will use this computer for both work and gaming. The computer will spend a lot of hours on. Are overclocked computers intended to stay overclocked or are they returned to normal settings when overclocking isn't needed? I ask because I'm spending $3700 on this setup and I would like it to last. I don't guess that you guys go into your setting each and every time to overclock but then most of you probably don't have the computer running 16 hours a day.

Your thoughts?

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
running oced rig 24/7 is not dangerous ONCE you have "found the happy zone", that is:
1. temps are normal for the clock you're running at
2. you have tested stability of cpu, ram, vga if oced (12+ hrs of prime95, memtest86, orthos, intel tat etc).

Are overclocked computers intended to stay overclocked or are they returned to normal settings when overclocking isn't needed?
this is the case only when you use windows apps (Ainos etc) intended for mild oc, in my opinion these apps are total bs. So, my suggestion is overclock by tweaking bios, in this case your rig "stays overclocked" all the time.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I run my computer 24/7 and it's overclocked about 20%. I don't have any issues with it. Just make sure you have proper cooling. And don't try and overclock too much.

sailer

Splendid
You're sure to get various opinions on this. I have my machine overclocked for steady use, but I don't run the maximum overclock at all times. I've been able to boost mine to 3150 mhz, which I do for playing particular games, but I drop the overclock to about 2940 mhz for steady use. With the exception of some games there is little, if any, need for overclocking.

Overclocking is simple and only involves a couple changes in the BIOS, which can be done when the machine is started, then undone the next time the machine is started. In your case, using the computer 16 hours a day, I would only use a minimal overclock or run at stock speeds on daily use, only doing an overclock when I either wanted to make a speed run on 3DMark06 or for playing a power hungry game. After that, I would return the machine to lower speed.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
running oced rig 24/7 is not dangerous ONCE you have "found the happy zone", that is:
1. temps are normal for the clock you're running at
2. you have tested stability of cpu, ram, vga if oced (12+ hrs of prime95, memtest86, orthos, intel tat etc).

Are overclocked computers intended to stay overclocked or are they returned to normal settings when overclocking isn't needed?
this is the case only when you use windows apps (Ainos etc) intended for mild oc, in my opinion these apps are total bs. So, my suggestion is overclock by tweaking bios, in this case your rig "stays overclocked" all the time.

I'm sure I need a lesson in OC but your raise a point about Windows apps and OC. My 8800GTX came with Smartdoctor which allows you to OC from that appliction. Is that one of the things you are referring to? Should all OC be done in the bios regardless of whether it is cpu, memory or gpu?

AdamBomb42

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I have been running a 33% overclock for over 2 years on my Northwood. I suggest for you to not go over .1v increase on your vcore for long-term overclocks.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
For my system in the sig the only voltage I had to change was my memory voltage, which ranges anwhere from 1.9v - 2.1v and DDR2 is generally sage up to 2.2v for regular use. I dont intend to touch the system you see in the sig for a while as far as my OC goes. I can easily go higher, but If I want to go to 2.80ghz or above it requires higher vCore and NB (MCH) voltages which causes an overall higher power draw from my system and I need all the power I can get outa of my Antec NeoHE 550w PS. Just so I dont continue on with to much of a rant. All you need to make your system last with an OC is fine anywhere from 80% - 100% of your OC on your stock voltage lvls' and if you have to give up .1v of just one small notch increase on voltage then you will be fine. Just make sure to have correct cooling, dont let dust build up, and make sure to stabalise your OC as said before for 8 - 12+ hours with prime95! Hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball

CompuTronix

Intel Master
To put the OC question into perspective, Intel's Vcore max spec for the E6xxx series is 1.3525. Some C2D's may OC as high as 3.4 Ghz without need to increase Vcore over spec. C2D's will typically operate within temperature specs, even with the stock cooler, as long as Vcore is not increased over 1.3525 max spec.

For more information regarding appropriate temps, check out the following Topic:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps.

Comp 8)

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
If I were you, I wouldn't waste that kind of money.
Buy a E4300, overclock the hell out of it, it'd kick E6700's ass.

My setup:

Gigabyte 965P-S3
C2D E4300
Transcend JetRam PC2-6400
7600GT 256MB GDDR3
2x RaptorX
TT BigTyphoon VX

This setup running at 3.6GHz (9x400MHz) 1:1 RAM:FSB
Vcore 1.3875V
Vdimm 2.1V

This setup will smoke E6700's ass big time.

And best thing is, the whole setup cost me less than $600.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
yes its OK, if you know what you are doing, don't rely on software to monitor your system, buy a digital display to do all your monitoring.
Its well worth ever penny to use a digital display. No bios monitoring or software in windows. Second never use auto in any ocing this causes power issues. Always have the best of the best in cooling. air and water is the right choice, good air with a cheap water system will allow 1gig oc running at 30c even in summer.
If you can simulate my system you will have the best of the best in cooling that is a guarantee
Btw most of us are running 24/7 for me alomst full throttle 16 h per day