Sign in with
Your question

First time build, looking for some feed back if possible.

Last response: in Systems
February 27, 2007 4:16:44 PM

Hello,

I'm building my first gaming computer and has I'm getting closer to finishing I'm thinking I made a few mistakes. I have already purchased all the hardware except for the video card (8800gtx) which I'll be getting in 2-3 weeks, cus it is kind of expensive. Can anyone tell me where my greatest flaw here would be? Also I'm pretty much building this to just game, with Crysis on my mind when it is released, which is why I'm not in a hurry. Any critics would be well appreciated.

AMD 64 fx-55

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWINXP2048-3200C2 - Retail

Thermaltake Toughpower 850W W0131RU – NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED, FOUR +12V RAIL READY - Retail planning on upgrading down the road to SLI 2 x 8800gtx

BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXWCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 WC HDCP Video Card - Retail

Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM x 2 in RAID 0

Swiftech H20-220 APEX ULTRA CPU Liquid Cooling Kits - Retail

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum 70SB035000003 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail

Vista Ultimate

I think my biggest concern is that I went with 939 socket and my processor will be a bottleneck. Will this be able to get me by or will I have some serious issues down the line? If so any suggestions?

Thank you much

More about : time build feed back

February 27, 2007 4:46:05 PM

I'm just curious why did you even go with socket 939? Unfortunately i dont know if it will be a bottlneck but If you were concerned that it would be why didnt you research it before you made the purchase? I'm doing my first build right now as well and i reserached and still researching every component. I'm not trying to get on your case by any means, but in my humble opinion, if you wanted to go with AMD, socket AM2 would have been a much better choice. Hopefully, someone will be able clear it up for you, as there are a lot of knowledgeble folks in this forum. I hope everything will work out well for you.

Good luck.
February 27, 2007 4:53:55 PM

thanks for responding. I did do research and I thought it might be enough, plus taking some of the cost into account for the CPU I bought(really cheap) I thought I might be able to OC that CPU and I had read good things about the FX-55 when it came to OCing. I didn't think dual core cus I'm only building this to game, so I figured why would I need that?

As I've continued on, just little concerns started popping up like since 939 is dying was that a smart move, should i have spent more money on a the CPU, like should i have spent more or gone bigger. Basically I'm just second guessing myself and I just wanted other peoples opinions who have alot more experience in this matter.

Thank you again for your time.
Related resources
February 27, 2007 4:59:43 PM

I'm afraid I have to say IMO the socket 939 is a poor choice for a new high-end system; Intel Core 2 or even AMD Socket AM2 would be better. But it doesn't really matter now anyway, you've got the stuff and it's still a fast system, no doubt about that.
February 27, 2007 7:27:52 PM

You gotta keep in mind that more and more games will take advantage of 2 cores, and if you want something futureproof 2 cores is the way to go. Nowadays you can get a decent dual core processor without spending a whole lot, both Intel and AMD offer that, and the latter dominates the low-end proceesor market. I dont know where you got your components, if you got them from newegg, you may be able to return them and get something else, though the will charge you a restocking fee of 15%. This ay be an option for you, but of course its up to you to decide what you want to do.
February 27, 2007 7:36:10 PM

Yeah i think thats what i'm going to do. I just need to return my ram and motherboard...i'll take the 15% hit. I got that FX-55 for literally nothing, (20 bucks). I read it was decent so I was going to try and build around it, but i think i'm just getting that itch to go better since i'm getting other expensive components.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.
February 27, 2007 8:47:32 PM

I think you are making the right decision. Both socket 775 and AM2 will be around for a while and you'll be able to upgrade your system when the time comes, that option isnt avalable with 939. I dont know what your budget is but i think Core 2 Duo is a better bang for the buck and outperforms current AMD offerings, you can pick up a e6300 or e6400, they are decent and inexpensive. If you want AMD you can get Athlon 64 X2 3800+ for a $100 or if you want something a little better 5200+ goes for $230, this one actually seems to be very popular. Perhaps others can recomend something else in addition to what i've said. In any case, go with whatever you can afford, you can always get a better one later once you have more cash.

Also, keep in mind that AMD motherboards are somewhat cheaper than Intel's, and if cash is an issue that should play a role in your decision. Try not to skimp on the motherboard though, get something decent, especially since you will be going SLI. i can see that you picked out a good one to go with fx-55, so it seems like you know what you are doing. If you do need help picking a mobo or any other components this forum is always here to help you.

I noticed that picked out Vista as your OS, i just hope you know what you are getting into, there are still a lot of issues with it, i'd recomend sticking with XP for now.

I hope this helps and happy shopping!

Edit: Just 1 more suggestion regarding the OS, if you dont have your own copy of XP, pick one up with an upgrade coupon for Vista.
February 28, 2007 12:14:01 PM

If I got a Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66 ghz, does anyone have any good suggestions for a motherboard and memory I can look at to go with this?
February 28, 2007 12:28:36 PM

Compare these 4:
LGA 775 SLI MB
Real close together, you might see a feature in one of them.
Memory, I would get 2x1GB DDR2-800
February 28, 2007 12:58:15 PM

Thanks! I had never seen that comparison layout in Newegg before...very helpful. Those were all good choices which i'm goign to look into further...I noticed they were all 650i...is 680i still too big a hassle to deal with?

Also the reason for going Vista(for the previous post) is just to take advantage of DX10...whenever that gets going. This project for me is for fun and not on any timeline so I can wait a while for things to catch up. I find it kind of fun just doing the research and trying to put this thing together.

And I seriously appreciate everyones input/thoughts positive or negative, it's all constructive.

Thanks!
February 28, 2007 2:03:30 PM

Save yourself $200 and get a E6600 which is essentially the same as the E6700. E6600 just have the multiplier locked at 9x instead of 10x. Grab yourself a cheap P965 board (Gigabyte P-965-DS3, rev 3.3 about $130) and a good HSF (Tuniq Tower 120, Scythe Infinity, about $50-$60) and overclock it to 3.2-3.6 GHz. You could even skip buying aftermarket HSF and use the stock HSF and still get good OC result (just operating at higher CPU temps).

If SLI is not a concern of yours, skip any nVidia chipset and stick with 975X or P965 chipsets. Honestly if you don't plan to do SLI now, you're better off saving that extra $400-600 for next year to upgrade to a newer video card (ebay older card or something). Most likely a single card that is released next year is just as good as dual graphic cards of this year. (8800GTX is just as good or better than 7900GTX SLI).

Budget board - Gigabyte P965-DS3 Revision 3.3 for 1333 FSB compatibility

Mid board - Asus P5B Deluxe

High end Boards - Asus Commando, Intel BadAxe2, Abit AW9D Max, Asus P5W Deluxe

For first time build, stay away from 680i and P965. Stick with the mature 975X. Will give you less headaches.
!