First build-Old mom gamer-HELP!

KrazyKat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
Ok, I am 56 and love games. I play Wii and Pc games. Most recently my 16 year old son and I got into online WOW. My PC sucks sooo bad that it reboots itself constantly due to the graphics and low ram. I have limited resources due to new home. After looking at $600 for tower with HP,Dell,Gateway and Acer I found this site. Figure I could build for less getting what I need and get better tech support here, HA! :lol:

I want good graphics and more ram so for the $ thought I would have fun making it with my son instead of expensive upgrades.

That said, I've only spent two days researching and now know I need;
CASE-mid tower?
CPU
MOBO
VIDEO CARD
RAM
HDD
DVD BURNER
Maybe if I can afford a 17" or 19" LCD monitor and new keyboard.
Got an ok wireless mouse
I have wireless connection as well

OK, I am sorry I'm soo dah so be kind here. I have only put in grapics, and sound cards plus wireless connection service. I have Windows XP PRO to install and other software

so here's waht I'm thinkin; TOOO MUCH INF! to learn:roll:

1)CASE with front ports and quiet with ease for first time
*do I need a Grounding Pad here?

2)Graphics EVGA NIVIDIA I'm looking at 7600GT and GS/ what is the dif? Theres a 7900GS or GT too. Obviously I can't afford one with DX10 or can I? I do need PCI X slots (right)? What does SLI mean? Do I need this too?

3)MOBO does this have to be AMD or Intel compatable? If so I guess it would depend on which way I go. What is Overclocking?

4)RAM the more the merrier :D I need 1 or 2 GB and I have been looking at KINGSTON and XMS CORSAIR. Dual channel runs better right? If I only get 1 GB I would rather have 1 stick than 2 at 512.

5)HDD looking at Seagate Barracuda OEM What is OEM?

6)CPU not sure what way to go here AMD 64 x2 ( 3800+/4200+/4400+)processor or Intel Pent dual core. Not sure what I can afford either.

7)DVD burner
looking at LITEON OEM and NEC OEM./what does OEM mean? Is SATA better and does that get rid of PATA cables?

Keyboard 25.00
Monitor if affordable 17" or 19" LCD looking at Samsung

HARD to build a nice gaming system for less than 1,500 but I have to. I also have a digital camera and video camcorder I like to use. Right now I have a 15" LCD and 512 RAM with a crapola graphics card. I just want to give the whole thing to my son for internet and homework.

Thanks to all for reading this long and rather naive old lady about building. Hope I can really do this... 8) kat

Reos

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
2) SLI is when you connect two graphics cards to each other, you dont need that. And you cant afford a dx10 card with that budget i think. A 7900GS might be good for you or a 1950pro, i think they cost almost the same. You need a PCI-express card.

3)You can choose a mother board that use either AMD or Intel, both are fine but i think you get more speed with Intel for less money right now. Maybe a e6300 or a e4300 processor for you. Intel uses socket 775 so you need a mother board with that socket.

4) You need DDR2 and you need atleast 1GB, 2 is better but your budget is small.

5) "When a company purchases products or components from another company and resells the products or components with the purchasing company's name or logo on them (usually, but not always as part of a product), the company that resells the product is called the original equipment manufacturer (frequently abbreviated OEM)" From wikipedia

A seagate barracuda is a good choice, maybe a 320GB is best for you, you need a SATA disk.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
1) Midtower case is the size you want. I don't know what you mean by a grounding pad, but don't worry about it. If it doesn't come with the case, you don't need it.

2) In order from slowest to fastest: 7600GS, 7600GT, 7900GS, 7900GT. The 7600gt or 7900gs are your best bet. Considering the limited budget, I'd say 7600gt, it can be as low as $90 on Newegg after a rebate. The 7900gs is faster but more expensive. The 76 GS or 79 GT arent worth considering IMO.

3) Mobo has to be compatible with your CPU. Overclocking means running your system beyond (usually far beyond) its rated specifications. Choosing a mobo depends on what CPU you want, so more on this later.

4) 2GB would be nice for RAM, but 1GB will do. 2 sticks of 512 will perform better than 1 of 1024, but then again, if you have 1 of 1024 you can add another later.

5) Don't worry about OEM. Doesnt matter. Seagate is good.

6) Either AMD X2 or Intel Core 2 Duo. NOT PENITUM D! AAAAHHH! Avoid Pentium D as if it were the plague.

7) Again, don't worry about OEM.

Shouldn't be hard to build a decent gaming system for $700 ish, with a monitor. I'll look at some prices in a bit.

Cruton

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
If you are looking for longevity in your new computer, then you will want to avoid overclocking, due to increased heat that it produces. Overclocking gives you a faster computer now, but you will be ugrading sooner b/c of it.

You will also need an operating system. I would recomend getting XP home. If you get this OEM, you will find that it is ALOT cheaper; however, Microsoft will not give you tech support on it if you run into problems. If you can install programs on your own fine, and know how to get help (this forum is great) then go with the money saving OEM.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
A moderate OC generally wouldn't kill the computer before it's obsolete anyway. So depending on how far you OC, it'd increase the computer's useful longevity. Who cares if your CPU will run 15 years from now, by then you'll be able to get a stopwatch with more processing power.

But by the sounds of it, she knows nothing about OCing, and it would be unwise to undertake an overclock without at least some knowledge of what you're doing.

ramble235

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
HARD to build a nice gaming system for less than 1,500 but I have to.

You said $600 at the top of your post, but is your budget actaully $1500? If so, then you can easily build a very decent gaming system for that amount.

I have to go right now, but I'll check back later with a few suggestion if nobody beats be to it :)

R

KrazyKat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
Thanks again I am trying to bump up to $1000 for a 2GB system and I am also considring an imac. They just don't have many options. What I want only comes in a 24" LCD which drives the cost out of my league at 2,000 or more. They have the better ram and graphics cards I found out last night by taking a peek. What are your thoughts on MACS?

Still undecided about building or getting a HP media center or I am actually looking at -oh no an imac. I am willing to spend 1000 now because I can't get a decent gaming system for less and it's hard at that price too. I do like to be able to upgrade to DX10 card when it comes out. Oh toooo much to know I just want to play WOW and do video cam coarder and digital photos. Looked at HP media sys. and everything is around 1,500 for what I want. imac is great with super graphics card and 2 GB plus I am now looking at Intel core 2 dual systems, but imac only comes in a 24" LCD driving my cost over 2,000. 8O

I am a bit leary of my fisrt build costing this much. I have so much to learn a research to make sure I get what I want in the correct config. and compatability with the ability to upgrade a bit leaving some room...It may just take me too long cause I really have a life. I am a retired art teacher and I like to paint and craft plus I have a ton of photo projects and a small job as a design consultant for new home builders. I feel Ilke I am settling for here's my $ so I can get on with it and pay too much for crap with poor tech support and outdated in 2 mos

The flip is I'm done. :wink:

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Some changes i would make to the above:

1) Change mobo to the Gigabyte DS3. About $10 cheaper and it's a solid board.

2) The EVGA 7600gt is $99 so that will save you another $40.

3) You already have your OS from what i've read? That will save you $90

Those savings above leave room for an LCD that you wanted to buy and keeps you under $1,000. Of course, any additional monies you can come up with give you more flexibility. A better PSU would be worth picking up now for about an additional $20-40 from the one suggested above and will help with future upgrades (ie better video card). If you end up spending $100 on a PSU, might as well spend the extra $40 or so and get a Corsair. Has a 5 year warranty so that will last you thru quite a few upgrade cycles.

merc14

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Wouldn't argue with any of that sillywabbit. You can definitely reuse the XP as long as the system it was originally on is no longer being used.

You could probably save $50 off the PSU I recommended but I like PC P&C and always recommend that a new builder never goes cheap on the PSU and leaves some room for upgrading. That PSU is incredibly reliable and solid and will be more than enough if you add a second card down the road or overclock the CPU.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
What are your thoughts on MACS?

I like macs, im typing this post out on one. I was a hardcore mac head for like 10 years, my first computer was a mac. But dont get a mac if you want a gaming machine, if you build yourself you'll get a much more powerful machine. The pc in my sig cost a little over $1000 before i sold my gfx card (1950xt), and its a monster.

Firewind

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
Coming from a computer amateur myself, I would go with the E6300 over the E4300 if I had no intention of overclocking.

Depending on budget, I'd also look at the X2 3600 for 95$ (if you're just playing WOW, even that would be overkill.

Here's my amateur budget build

- AMD X2 3600 CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103036-
Comboed with
- Biostar TForce 550 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138026
Easily more than enough for WOW, and will provide a cool, speedy, power effecient machine at stock speeds.

$149.99

- Arctic Cooling Alpine 64
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16835186010
An good priced adequate cooler from a name brand company. If you're not overclocking, no need to pay extra for an overclocking cooler.

$9.99

- ThermalTake 430W PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023
Enough power for a low-mid range gaming system. Very high reviews, very cool running.

$39.99 -- 10$ rebate

- Mushkin 2gb DDR2 800 ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146118
This runs on 1.8v, meaning you don't need to change anything in BIOS, and is a reliable brand.

$210.99 -- 25$ rebate

- Western Digital Caviar SE16 250gb harddrive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701
A reliable, speedy harddrive from a name-brand company. It has a lot of space, and is very highly regarded by those who have purchased it.

$74.99

- Coolermaster Centurion 5 case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119047
These cases have very good airflow, very good size, and a design which makes putting together your first machine very easy (first hand experience here). It's also an elegant but not gaudy design.

$44.99 -- $10 rebate

- Samsung 18x DVD player
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151136
It's a quiet and speedy DVD player.

$33.99

- eVga 7900 GS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056
I changed the sapphire card to the eVga card after some research. This card will have absolutely zero issue with WOW even at maximum settings.

$159.99 -- $15 rebate

The total for all this is $724.92.
To ship it to where I live in NY would cost $33.82.

After sending in the rebates, you'd get 60$ back. You'd have a very cool, effecient system that could easily play WOW at top settings without a hiccup.

I'll let the experts rip this to shreds now!

Firewind

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
merc14 said:
You can definitely reuse the XP as long as the system it was originally on is no longer being used.
quote]

Guys lots of good comments, however, she MAY be able to reuse her OS some of the OEM OS's like DELL are hardware locked so if you don't have a Dell motherboard the OS won't load.

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I was in a similar situation owning a Dell and having just recently built my own computer. I called up Microsoft asking for a new key. With a little dumb luck and the right customer service person, she steered me to say 'my Dell motherboard was fried'. I also told her i would be upgrading to Vista sometime soon. She ended up giving me a new CD key for XP and i was able to install it on my new pc.