Final critique before purchase...

major_error

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I've been planning this system build for a while now, and the parts list has pretty much settled down to the following: (copied from Newegg since wish-list sharing isn't working...)

Case:SILVERSTONE SST-SG01-B MicroATX Desktop Computer Case
SeaSonic M12 SS-500HM ATX12V / EPS12V 500W Power SupplyAccessories:OKGEAR 18" SATA Cable Model GC18AKM12
Saitek PZ30AU Black USB Wired Standard Eclipse KeyboardSystem:GIGABYTE GA-965GM-S2 LGA 775 Intel G965 Express Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300
2x G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) System Memory Model F2-6400PHU1-1GBNR
HITACHI Deskstar 7K160 HDS721680PLA380 (0A32727) 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD400LJ 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L
EVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 KO Video Card
Final cost: roughly $1200 (before rebates +S/H)

I don't want to spend any more than $1200 on the system itself; I already have a pair of Viewsonic VX2035wm displays dying to be connected to a system that can drive them properly ;)

-- This system is for very casual gaming, internet usage, and video-watching.
-- In choosing parts, I tried to get the biggest bang for my buck based on current prices and tech.
-- Space usage is a concern as I can't justify any sort of tower case any longer.
-- I am a firm believer in keeping boot/system files physically separate from general data, thus the requirement for 2 HDs.
-- As far as video cards are concerned, I have no problem being "6-7 revisions behind", though I have soured on ATI/AMD driver-wise (.NET requirement, multi-display handling.)
-- Overclocking ability is not a concern; running at stock speeds is ok with me.

What I'm looking for is constructive info and experiences with the hardware I've chosen--I know the reviews on Newegg aren't the whole story...

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I've heard bad things about the Saitek keyboards. Well, one, anyway. My buddy had one of the glowie blue ones, and he said while it looked pretty, typing on it felt terrible.

Nice RAM, but unnecessarily fast if you're keeping stock speeds. If you'll never overclock, DDR2-533 is all you need.

The KO series of cards from EVGA usually aren't worth their extra price. The Superclocked, on the other hand, definitely are. But it just depends on how much the prices differ between vanilla, Superclocked, and KO.

major_error

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I've heard bad things about the Saitek keyboards. Well, one, anyway. My buddy had one of the glowie blue ones, and he said while it looked pretty, typing on it felt terrible.
I'm upgrading from an old IBM mechanical-type KB...
Could you elaborate on the problems more? Any standard-sized backlit one will do; I just happened to pick the first one I came across.

Nice RAM, but unnecessarily fast if you're keeping stock speeds. If you'll never overclock, DDR2-533 is all you need.
This was one area I felt it prudent to splurge a bit. I figured at some point I'd want to drop in a faster processor. Doing it this way initially, it's guaranteed not to a bottleneck, and I can space out future upgrades...

The KO series of cards from EVGA usually aren't worth their extra price. The Superclocked, on the other hand, definitely are. But it just depends on how much the prices differ between vanilla, Superclocked, and KO.
I had no idea there were that many options...
This is the Newegg search pattern I used: interface : PCI Express x16 (x) > gpu : GeForce 7 series (x) > dvi : 2 (x) > gpu : GeForce 7 series > gpu : GeForce 7900GS
The EVGA came out as the cheapest @ $160

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I never personally tried the keyboard. He just said the keys were loud and, for lack of a better word, hard. They didn't have the soft touch of high quality keyboards. But I'm not an expert on the subject, I'm very pleased with my $20 BenQ keyboard.

A faster processor won't use faster RAM. That board has a maximum standard FSB of 1066MHz, so at stock speeds it can only ever support 533MHz RAM. Overclocking is a different story, that's the only reason you'd want faster RAM. But if OCing is in your future, the 965GM is not a good choice of board.

Yep, looks like Newegg only has the KO 7900GS. But it's not a bad price. A good cheaper option is the 7600GT for ~$100, or a good higher performing option is the 8800GTS 320 for ~$300. I'd say the 7900GS is a nice compromise.

7600GT 2xDVI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130073

major_error

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I never personally tried the keyboard. He just said the keys were loud and, for lack of a better word, hard. They didn't have the soft touch of high quality keyboards. But I'm not an expert on the subject, I'm very pleased with my $20 BenQ keyboard.
Ah... I see. If that's the case, it would be something of a lateral move from what I already have ;)

A faster processor won't use faster RAM. That board has a maximum standard FSB of 1066MHz, so at stock speeds it can only ever support 533MHz RAM. Overclocking is a different story, that's the only reason you'd want faster RAM. But if OCing is in your future, the 965GM is not a good choice of board.
I think that's the case for all the mATX boards :x
I'm guessing this is something that can't be addressed in future BIOS updates?

Yep, looks like Newegg only has the KO 7900GS. But it's not a bad price. A good cheaper option is the 7600GT for ~$100, or a good higher performing option is the 8800GTS 320 for ~$300. I'd say the 7900GS is a nice compromise.
The config I originally started with used the 7600. There's been a decent amount of fluctuation in the prices since then, so the 7900-series became a possibility.
Honestly, for the amount of gaming I do, anything over $200 is a waste....right around $150 is acceptable, however.

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
I never looked up reviews for the Saitek or anything, you could do that. I'm just going on what this guy told me.

I don't know of any mATX boards that can be overclocked to push 333MHz stable, which is the next step up for processors. So I think it's unlikely a BIOS update will fix that, but other people might have input on this one?

But you could go for the e4300 instead of the e6300, because the e4300 runs stock at 200MHz. So you could overclock it to the board and RAM's 266 MHz. The board would be stable because that's its design specification, same with the RAM, and that overclock would be a piece of cake for a e4300.