Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Hi, have been interested in building my own for a while, so ive decided to sell what ive got and do it... i have a budget of around £1000. I need everything except the ram unless you think i need more. I bought 2gb last year for my old pc which i am selling.
I do not want to upgrade again for a few years at least...

I want this pc mostly for gaming so probably a 8800 and windows vista for dx10, also need a decent sound card.

Some advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Tunez

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
yea, i saw that... What about hard drive? what should i get there?

The 680i, would that be the recomended mobo by most people? i can see a lot of people have it.

Also the graphics card. Is it worth getting a 8800 now? or should i wait, i saw a topic saying there will be a price drop when ati release there new range of cards? If it is worth getting which would be the best one to go for?

jeff_2087

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2007
The 680i is only worth it if you're considering SLi, now or in the future. If you think you will, go for it.

I'd say it's definitely worth getting a 8800 now, if you want high performance. Sure there'll be a price drop with the ATi R600. But that's several months away, and then there'll be a price drop after that too. There are always going to be price drops, its usually not worth waiting for them.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Price drops, new products, price drops.......it's an on-going cycle. Won't change, so get it when you need it.

As far as the ATI/Nvidia debate and what's better or whatnot, don't bother going there. Nobody knows for sure what will be better, by how much, how much that will cost, what power draw will be needed, and on and on. It's mostly conjecture at this point. Some facts have surfaced, but the ATI just got delayed AGAIN. Nvidia has had time to prove their card and will continue to work on drivers. The 8800GTS 320mb is a great card if you're gaming at 19" LCD resolution, can't go wrong with it.

Problem with waiting for ATI's release is you could be gaming in the meantime and having fun, how much will it cost, will it be better, and if so by how much? And are you willing to wait that long to squeeze a few more frames out of your graphics cards :?: :!: :?: