Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Does Comcast encrypt its hd signal?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:01:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I'm considering using an hd tuner card. I'd hate to spend the money to find
out.


(harder, possibly ridiculous question)

If by chance anyone knows, would this type of encryption decision be local
for Comcast? (I'm in Dallas)

More about : comcast encrypt signal

Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:17:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:01:19 -0500, <nickmirro@attbi.com> wrote:
> I'm considering using an hd tuner card. I'd hate to spend the money to find
> out.

I *used* to be able to get all of their HD channels with a built in HD tuner
that was QAM capable. However they now encrypt all of their HD content except
for the local stations (which they are not allowed to encrypt). IE, I can
still get CBS, NBC, ABC in HD with my own tuner, but that is it. PBS, ESPN,
etc and all of the premium channels (obviously) are encrypted. They're
forcing you to sign up for Digital Cable and pay the monthly rental on one
of their tuner boxes if you want HD.

> (harder, possibly ridiculous question)
>
> If by chance anyone knows, would this type of encryption decision be local
> for Comcast? (I'm in Dallas)

I don't know that one.


John.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 9:48:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

You will need their HD CATV Box to recieve any HDTV via Comcast or most any
other Cable Supplier. Only way to use the tuner without their box is use an
ota antenna. Cable Suppliers find doing this produces another "Cash Cow"
then can use to milk funds from their customer base.
"John 'Shaggy' Kolesar" <spam@shagg.net> wrote in message
news:slrnci8add.clq.spam@weizen.shagg.net...
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:01:19 -0500, <nickmirro@attbi.com> wrote:
> > I'm considering using an hd tuner card. I'd hate to spend the money to
find
> > out.
>
> I *used* to be able to get all of their HD channels with a built in HD
tuner
> that was QAM capable. However they now encrypt all of their HD content
except
> for the local stations (which they are not allowed to encrypt). IE, I can
> still get CBS, NBC, ABC in HD with my own tuner, but that is it. PBS,
ESPN,
> etc and all of the premium channels (obviously) are encrypted. They're
> forcing you to sign up for Digital Cable and pay the monthly rental on one
> of their tuner boxes if you want HD.
>
> > (harder, possibly ridiculous question)
> >
> > If by chance anyone knows, would this type of encryption decision be
local
> > for Comcast? (I'm in Dallas)
>
> I don't know that one.
>
>
> John.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 2:20:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Art wrote:
> You will need their HD CATV Box to recieve any HDTV via Comcast or most any
> other Cable Supplier. Only way to use the tuner without their box is use an
> ota antenna. Cable Suppliers find doing this produces another "Cash Cow"
> then can use to milk funds from their customer base.
> "John 'Shaggy' Kolesar" <spam@shagg.net> wrote in message
> news:slrnci8add.clq.spam@weizen.shagg.net...
>
>>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:01:19 -0500, <nickmirro@attbi.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm considering using an hd tuner card. I'd hate to spend the money to
>
> find
>
>>>out.
>>
>>I *used* to be able to get all of their HD channels with a built in HD
>
> tuner
>
>>that was QAM capable. However they now encrypt all of their HD content
>
> except
>
>>for the local stations (which they are not allowed to encrypt). IE, I can
>>still get CBS, NBC, ABC in HD with my own tuner, but that is it. PBS,
>
> ESPN,
>
>>etc and all of the premium channels (obviously) are encrypted. They're
>>forcing you to sign up for Digital Cable and pay the monthly rental on one
>>of their tuner boxes if you want HD.
>>

Sony XBR960
Detroit suburb.
The installers never saw a tv like this before. I got ESPN , Discovery
HD Theater, NBC, CBS, PBS and Fox. No ABC. I also got ALL my neighbor's
Video on Demand stuff with no cablecard or HD box. I complained about "R
rated porno" arriving unbidden to my house. They insisted I had to buy
digital tier of service. They suggested that I block movie channels with
my TV. I said you block this at pole. I suggested they look to FCC
rulings. They sent cablecard. No charge. I get all the above stations
and ABC. (no more VOD) I still need OTA ($40 Radio Shack) for UPN & WB.
I don't believe I am being charged for Digital tier. (Will KNOW with
next months billing but I was unmovable about: "I am not going to pay 20
or 30 extra a month for 1 network." I about would invest in better OTA
ant. and call City Hall and complain.
What a cash cow the VOD is for these guys if the weekends peek at VOD
is any indication. Seems funny they are prosecuting some people for
"stealing signal" but don't care if it "leaks".
Terry Joyce
all in all Comcast did work it out in a timely manner and we will just
have to wait to see the bill to see if it was worth rocking the boat.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 5:07:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Nick Mirro" <nickmirro@attbi.com> wrote in message
news:JNmdnc7s25oIubncRVn-gg@comcast.com...
> I'm considering using an hd tuner card.

I'd like to replace my ATI TV Wonder with a cheap HDTV card that can also
receive NTSC programming.

What are my options? Is there a web site that compares all available models?
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 4:42:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

PBS is not encrypted. In Boston,you do not have to get Extended Basic to get
HDTV or even Digital cable.
The HD braodcast channels are included in limited basic,and if you have a
QAM tuner,toy do NOT need to use their converter,though i do.


--
A widescreen edition of a movie presents the film frame as it was seen in
the movie theater. This is the version that best preserves the filmmaker's
original intent.

End of story!
"John 'Shaggy' Kolesar" <spam@shagg.net> wrote in message
news:slrnci8add.clq.spam@weizen.shagg.net...
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:01:19 -0500, <nickmirro@attbi.com> wrote:
> > I'm considering using an hd tuner card. I'd hate to spend the money to
find
> > out.
>
> I *used* to be able to get all of their HD channels with a built in HD
tuner
> that was QAM capable. However they now encrypt all of their HD content
except
> for the local stations (which they are not allowed to encrypt). IE, I can
> still get CBS, NBC, ABC in HD with my own tuner, but that is it. PBS,
ESPN,
> etc and all of the premium channels (obviously) are encrypted. They're
> forcing you to sign up for Digital Cable and pay the monthly rental on one
> of their tuner boxes if you want HD.
>
> > (harder, possibly ridiculous question)
> >
> > If by chance anyone knows, would this type of encryption decision be
local
> > for Comcast? (I'm in Dallas)
>
> I don't know that one.
>
>
> John.
August 20, 2004 3:16:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:01:19 -0500, "Nick Mirro" <nickmirro@attbi.com>
wrote:

>I'm considering using an hd tuner card. I'd hate to spend the money to find
>out.
>
>
>(harder, possibly ridiculous question)
>
>If by chance anyone knows, would this type of encryption decision be local
>for Comcast? (I'm in Dallas)
>


I have a Fusion III card and Comcast HD service in NJ. The Fusion card
is connected directly to the cable liine, not through the cable box.
Up until yesterday, I could see the HD programming that I can get OTA
over the cable line in QAM-256 through the card. (ABC,NBC,CBS,WB,FOX).
I could even see the sub channels for ABC. I also could see some video
on demand content that someone else had ordered. I could not see
Discovery HD, INHD, INHD2 or the HD sports stations.

Yesterday, the HD channels were "moved" from digital channels 180 or
so to the 200 range on the cable box. They are no longer visible to
the Fusion card.(They used to show up on channels 80-85) A rescan
shows me only analog cable stations.

The only reason I can think of why Comcast would do this is to keep
pepople from using the "rebroadcast" HD signals off the cable for
free. They are providing a "service" (OTA to cable). I bought the
Fusion card to use for OTA anyway, so I am not upset about it. I am
cusrious what others will say because of the posts I have seen that
state cable companies are not allowed to encrypt a signal you could
get over the air. Today, at least for me, the signals may or may not
be encrypted, but I cannot get to them without the cable box.

So the short answer for you may be to save your money, unless you are
considering OTA.






----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 10:27:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:42:03 GMT, <jafraas@yahoo.com> wrote:
> PBS is not encrypted.

It is here.

> In Boston,you do not have to get Extended Basic to get
> HDTV or even Digital cable.
> The HD braodcast channels are included in limited basic,and if you have a
> QAM tuner,toy do NOT need to use their converter,though i do.

That's exactly how it used to work in Maryland. I was able to receive
the HDTV channels with my own QAM tuner off of basic cable for about a
year or so. Then Comcast started encrypting everything except for the local
network stations.


John.
!