Choice for OS for new gaming computer

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Windows Vista? XP? XP Professional 64? Just looking to find out what you guys are using if you build a computer today.

Get some form of XP, with the upgrade coupon for Vista. You've got until 3/15 to buy it from newegg. Wait a while to install Vista.....bugs, drivers, program compatibility,...all issues right now with Vista.

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I don't see any reason to buy vista right now or even in march. There is only one reason any of us would get it and that is DX10. And how many games are out there that run in DX10, none and we don't even know the release date of the most anticipated one, Crysis. I guess you could get xp pro with the upgrade coupon and get vista before the experation and not install it until it's worth it (like after SP1 is released)

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
the reason to buy in march is because more diverse dx10 cards are coming out and dx10 games are getting closer... basically the whole dx10 thing is ramping up. and that is really the only reason i'd consider switching to vista. for dx10.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
But what is dx10 worth if there is no software that uses it?

i'm not saying that you NEED dx10 in march, i'm just saying that its starting to ramp up some more. i won't be buying into either vista or dx10 for a bit now, but thats simply because i don't have the money to do so. would i if i had the money at this moment? well, probably not. but the 8600 ultra looks damn good for someone whose using an ancient agp card right now.

but RJ basically said all thats needed; thats the best rout imo.

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
But what is dx10 worth if there is no software that uses it?

i'm not saying that you NEED dx10 in march, i'm just saying that its starting to ramp up some more. i won't be buying into either vista or dx10 for a bit now, but thats simply because i don't have the money to do so. would i if i had the money at this moment? well, probably not. [bold]but the 8600 ultra looks damn good for someone whose using an ancient agp card right now.
[/bold]
but RJ basically said all thats needed; thats the best rout imo.anything from 7600/ x1650 and above looks damn sexy to me and my x800pro :cry:

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
The reason to get Vista in March is that it is a free upgrade. If you buy XP, get the Vista upgrade coupon. Jump through the hoops and you get a copy of Vista to install when ever you like, like next year?? You then will get Service packs free.

Had you not said 'gaming' system, I'd have said: Linux (and even then, depending on the games you want, Linux+Cedega may just do the trick).

If you want to get Vista later (the coupon is indeed an idea), save yourself the pain and ensure your upgrade coupon is for Home Basic: no 3D interface, thus lighter drag on the hardware. It does support DX10 though. It also costs a hundred bucks less than Home Premium.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
anything from 7600/ x1650 and above looks damn sexy to me and my x800pro :cry:

your x800 pro looks damn sexy compared to my 9550 agp

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:( Meh...[Sorry Ninja :wink: ]

How about a faulty Radeon 9550 and now, borrowed no-name FX5200 128MB and AMD Venice 3000+?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Wow. These guys all give horrible advice. I'm a bit surprised. If you're building a good system...get Vista Premium.

You don't want to upgrade from XP, I heard there are issues with it. You want a full version Vista Premium. The "beta" drivers won't be beta long, and XP still runs you $80 or more. OEM's are selling Vista loaded PC's. Do yourself a favor and save yourself the $80. I imagine that within a year more than half of us will be on Vista. The rest of us can't afford it.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Of course you don't want to install Vista directly over XP, but it isn't exactly that hard to back up what you want to keep and do a clean install of Vista anyways. But your advice is horrible too; until there is an actual need for Vista, i.e. DX10, you don't want to slow yourself down with a bloated OS any more than you have to.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Crysis. Coming soon. Vista will play your DX9 games. An 8800GTS card and a Core2Duo will run your games fluidly. Who cares if it's "bloated?"

Upgrade CD = MUST HAVE XP installed. Maybe you don't understand what "upgrade" means.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
You said nothing of using an upgrade version; seems you're unable to read your own posts correctly.
You want a full version Vista Premium.

Anyone and everyone should care that the software they use is bloated. Face it, if software developers would spend a bit more time to optimize their programs you wouldn't need to upgrade quite so often. Also, Crysis is delayed until the summer which is ~3 months away at the earliest, not exactly soon.

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
You said nothing of using an upgrade version; seems you're unable to read your own posts correctly.
You want a full version Vista Premium.

how about you read the thread properly, people were advising getting XP with the upgrade coupon, the upgrade coupon gets you the Upgrade version of the Vista CD which = must have XP installed for it to upgrade

the upgrade process is a nightmare and will leave you crying that nothing works right

anyway... if you're building a PC in the next month or so, I'd have to go vista, driver support is a bit poor right now, but it will save you hassle in the long run of building up XP just how you like it, to then have to clean install of Vista (for which you'd also have to buy a whole new licence or be left in VistaUpgrade hell)

I'll be installing Vista, clean install, the same day my first DX10 game lands on my doorstep

Squad_Walker

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
If get XP w/ my new system & I just install a few games on it, can I just wipe my HD clean w/ a fresh install of vista when I'm ready to switch?

Or, will XP leave my system confused when trying to upgrade to vista even w/ a clean wipe? (pls excuse my PC ignorance :wink: )

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
i have a dualboot of vista and xp, didnt plan on it, but i have almost fully moved to vista, including all my games, it just feels "snappier" for some reason.. and all my games run flawlessly on it.

some games even tend to run smoother under vista for some reason, the memory management is also superb.. i dont care what ppl say, it screams with my lowly 1gb ram.

It does seem superior to XP Pro, although i dont think i'd go out and buy it just yet, mine was free through my IT Dept at school.

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
If get XP w/ my new system & I just install a few games on it, can I just wipe my HD clean w/ a fresh install of vista when I'm ready to switch?

Or, will XP leave my system confused when trying to upgrade to vista even w/ a clean wipe? (pls excuse my PC ignorance :wink: )

if you get a full version of Vista (e.g. not an upgrade copy), you'll be able to format the drive before you install vista, thus wiping all evidence of XP from the machine

on a side note; I think I read somewhere that you can trick the upgrade disk in to acting as a clean install, but it took a very prescribed set of steps to do this (and I can't now find the link to these instructions)

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Crysis. Coming soon. Vista will play your DX9 games. An 8800GTS card and a Core2Duo will run your games fluidly. Who cares if it's "bloated?"

Upgrade CD = MUST HAVE XP installed. Maybe you don't understand what "upgrade" means.
Dude, he can get the OEM version of XP and get a free upgrade to Vista. What will he get when that arrives? An OEM version of Vista. In effect you get two licenses.