How do you change a DVD rom drive name (not letter)

March 13, 2005 1:32:15 PM

Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
(R:) '

Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?

I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:32:16 PM

John

Optical drives show as what they are until you put media into them, at which
point they take on the name of the media regardless of what you may have
called them..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
> Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
> was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
> (R:) '
>
> Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
> description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?
>
> I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:10:38 PM

Hi John,

See DefaultLabel part in this article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

Example:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe\Drives\H\DefaultLabel

Set (default) to your preferred name. Where H is the DVD-ROM drive-letter

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
> Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
> was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
> (R:) '
>
> Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
> description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?
>
> I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.
Related resources
March 13, 2005 10:10:39 PM

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi John,
>
>See DefaultLabel part in this article:
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>
>Example:
>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe\Drives\H\DefaultLabel
>
>Set (default) to your preferred name. Where H is the DVD-ROM drive-letter

Thanks, Ramesh.

Mike - there's no reason why we all have to have the same tastes as
you when it comes to how to organise an efficient workspace.

I think that your implication that anyone interested in a different
way of doing things is an idle playboy gratuitously insulting. Not at
all sympatico :)
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:10:40 PM

John

I dream of one day becoming an idle playboy.. I find it gratuitously
insulting that you consider an idle playboy to have no purpose.. :)

--

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi John,
>>
>>See DefaultLabel part in this article:
>>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>>
>>Example:
>>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe\Drives\H\DefaultLabel
>>
>>Set (default) to your preferred name. Where H is the DVD-ROM drive-letter
>
> Thanks, Ramesh.
>
> Mike - there's no reason why we all have to have the same tastes as
> you when it comes to how to organise an efficient workspace.
>
> I think that your implication that anyone interested in a different
> way of doing things is an idle playboy gratuitously insulting. Not at
> all sympatico :)
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:10:56 PM

You're correct Mike. OTOH, the Default Label can be changed (effective when
there is no media).

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> John
>
> Optical drives show as what they are until you put media into them, at
> which point they take on the name of the media regardless of what you may
> have called them..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
>> Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
>> was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
>> (R:) '
>>
>> Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
>> description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?
>>
>> I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:10:57 PM

Ramesh

From your original answer, I don't doubt that it is possible.. I just can't
see the reason for it with regard to optical drives.. the letter of the
drive is always shown, and it is easy enough to assign a letters in
alphabetic order reflecting position in the case.. the fact that the name
will change upon insertion of a CD renders any more 'meaningful' default
name meaningless..

I guess that I spend too much time being productive with my computers, and
not enough time staring at the file/drive structure..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

news:o j8fhq9JFHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> You're correct Mike. OTOH, the Default Label can be changed (effective
> when there is no media).
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> John
>>
>> Optical drives show as what they are until you put media into them, at
>> which point they take on the name of the media regardless of what you may
>> have called them..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
>>> Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
>>> was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
>>> (R:) '
>>>
>>> Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
>>> description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?
>>>
>>> I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:25:48 AM

Hi Mike,

>> I just can't see the reason for it with regard to optical drives

Yes, that makes sense.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh
>
> From your original answer, I don't doubt that it is possible.. I just
> can't see the reason for it with regard to optical drives.. the letter of
> the drive is always shown, and it is easy enough to assign a letters in
> alphabetic order reflecting position in the case.. the fact that the name
> will change upon insertion of a CD renders any more 'meaningful' default
> name meaningless..
>
> I guess that I spend too much time being productive with my computers, and
> not enough time staring at the file/drive structure..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> news:o j8fhq9JFHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> You're correct Mike. OTOH, the Default Label can be changed (effective
>> when there is no media).
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>> John
>>>
>>> Optical drives show as what they are until you put media into them, at
>>> which point they take on the name of the media regardless of what you
>>> may have called them..
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mike Hall
>>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>>
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:43:03 AM

Salut/Hi Mike Hall (MS-MVP),

le/on Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:36:31 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>John
>
>I dream of one day becoming an idle playboy.. I find it gratuitously
>insulting that you consider an idle playboy to have no purpose.. :)

Well said. I have spent my entire life trying to be an idle toyboy. - oh!!
You said "playboy"? Well I'd love to be an idle playboy. At least I've
succeeded in the first part. I'm enthusiastically and dedicatedly idle.
Unfortunately I'm a little old to figure in Playboy.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare