How do you change a DVD rom drive name (not letter)

Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
(R:)'

Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?

I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.
8 answers Last reply
More about change drive letter

    John

    Optical drives show as what they are until you put media into them, at which
    point they take on the name of the media regardless of what you may have
    called them..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    > Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
    > was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
    > (R:)'
    >
    > Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
    > description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?
    >
    > I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.

    Hi John,

    See DefaultLabel part in this article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/icon.asp

    Example:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe\Drives\H\DefaultLabel

    Set (default) to your preferred name. Where H is the DVD-ROM drive-letter

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi John,
    >
    >See DefaultLabel part in this article:
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/icon.asp
    >
    >Example:
    >HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe\Drives\H\DefaultLabel
    >
    >Set (default) to your preferred name. Where H is the DVD-ROM drive-letter

    Thanks, Ramesh.

    Mike - there's no reason why we all have to have the same tastes as
    you when it comes to how to organise an efficient workspace.

    I think that your implication that anyone interested in a different
    way of doing things is an idle playboy gratuitously insulting. Not at
    all sympatico :)

    John

    I dream of one day becoming an idle playboy.. I find it gratuitously
    insulting that you consider an idle playboy to have no purpose.. :)

    --

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi John,
    >>
    >>See DefaultLabel part in this article:
    >>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/icon.asp
    >>
    >>Example:
    >>HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe\Drives\H\DefaultLabel
    >>
    >>Set (default) to your preferred name. Where H is the DVD-ROM drive-letter
    >
    > Thanks, Ramesh.
    >
    > Mike - there's no reason why we all have to have the same tastes as
    > you when it comes to how to organise an efficient workspace.
    >
    > I think that your implication that anyone interested in a different
    > way of doing things is an idle playboy gratuitously insulting. Not at
    > all sympatico :)

    You're correct Mike. OTOH, the Default Label can be changed (effective when
    there is no media).

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > John
    >
    > Optical drives show as what they are until you put media into them, at
    > which point they take on the name of the media regardless of what you may
    > have called them..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    >> Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
    >> was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
    >> (R:)'
    >>
    >> Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
    >> description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?
    >>
    >> I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.

    Ramesh

    From your original answer, I don't doubt that it is possible.. I just can't
    see the reason for it with regard to optical drives.. the letter of the
    drive is always shown, and it is easy enough to assign a letters in
    alphabetic order reflecting position in the case.. the fact that the name
    will change upon insertion of a CD renders any more 'meaningful' default
    name meaningless..

    I guess that I spend too much time being productive with my computers, and
    not enough time staring at the file/drive structure..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > You're correct Mike. OTOH, the Default Label can be changed (effective
    > when there is no media).
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> John
    >>
    >> Optical drives show as what they are until you put media into them, at
    >> which point they take on the name of the media regardless of what you may
    >> have called them..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    >>> Changing the drive letter of my newly installed DVD-ROM drive to R:
    >>> was no problem. However, it has adopted the *name* 'DVD-RW drive
    >>> (R:)'
    >>>
    >>> Can I change this to something that will provide an alternative
    >>> description which will distinguish it from another similar drive?
    >>>
    >>> I seem to remember that this was no problem in Win98.

    Hi Mike,

    >> I just can't see the reason for it with regard to optical drives

    Yes, that makes sense.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Ramesh
    >
    > From your original answer, I don't doubt that it is possible.. I just
    > can't see the reason for it with regard to optical drives.. the letter of
    > the drive is always shown, and it is easy enough to assign a letters in
    > alphabetic order reflecting position in the case.. the fact that the name
    > will change upon insertion of a CD renders any more 'meaningful' default
    > name meaningless..
    >
    > I guess that I spend too much time being productive with my computers, and
    > not enough time staring at the file/drive structure..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    >> You're correct Mike. OTOH, the Default Label can be changed (effective
    >> when there is no media).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>> John
    >>>
    >>> Optical drives show as what they are until you put media into them, at
    >>> which point they take on the name of the media regardless of what you
    >>> may have called them..
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Hall
    >>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>>
    >>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>>

    >>> "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message

    Salut/Hi Mike Hall (MS-MVP),

    le/on Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:36:31 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

    >John
    >
    >I dream of one day becoming an idle playboy.. I find it gratuitously
    >insulting that you consider an idle playboy to have no purpose.. :)

    Well said. I have spent my entire life trying to be an idle toyboy. - oh!!
    You said "playboy"? Well I'd love to be an idle playboy. At least I've
    succeeded in the first part. I'm enthusiastically and dedicatedly idle.
    Unfortunately I'm a little old to figure in Playboy.
    --
    All the Best
    Ian Hoare

DVD Drives Microsoft Windows XP