Installation

I want to install windows 2000, but i don't have floppy for boot.
Can i use the cd directly?
How many update there are for windows 2000 now?

Thanks

dl

Boot from win2k cd, and install
SP1 - 4 + others
Ensure Firewall is installed prior to connecting to internet, otherwise yr
sys will likely be infected allmost immediately
Do not use winupdate for drivers.

"Luca" <Luca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to install windows 2000, but i don't have floppy for boot.
> Can i use the cd directly?
> How many update there are for windows 2000 now?
>
> Thanks

As was stated you can boot directly off the CD (assuming your hardware supports it, and most does). On top of Service Pack 4 (downloadable from Microsoft's website) there are probably another 50 or so updates.

The previous post was incorrect in that 2000 does not have a built-in firewall. You are also pretty safe downloading and installing updated drivers from Windows update; my guess is that the previous poster just meant to suggest you get the drivers from the manufacturers themselves as opposed to the windows update site. Either way you look at it you should be looking to get updated drivers for your hardware if they are available.

-Erik

"DL" wrote:

> Boot from win2k cd, and install
> SP1 - 4 + others
> Ensure Firewall is installed prior to connecting to internet, otherwise yr
> sys will likely be infected allmost immediately
> Do not use winupdate for drivers.
>
> "Luca" <Luca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I want to install windows 2000, but i don't have floppy for boot.
> > Can i use the cd directly?
> > How many update there are for windows 2000 now?
> >
> > Thanks

Hi,

I understand that you want to know whether it is possible install Windows
2000 by booting from CD.

Yes you can boot the system directly from CD. Please configure your BIOS
settings to boot from CD. Insert the bootable Windows 2000 CD into CDROM.
You will be able to begin the installation.

Please find the link that helps you to install Windows 2000.

Part 2: Installing a Windows 2000 Professional Workstation and Connecting
It to a Domain
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/server/prosteps.asp

Note: The information given below is Non-Microsoft information, but it may
help you resolve the issue

Install Microsoft Windows 2000:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/win2k/installw2k/indexfullpage.htm

Upgrade to Windows 2000
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/win2k/upgradew2k/indexfullpage.htm

Regarding the query on number of updates available for Windows 2000, please
install the latest service pack on the system. Then connect to
www.windowsupdate.com. The system will be scanned for the available
updates. A list of available updates for the system will be listed which
can then be installed. The number of updates varies depends on the
application installed, service pack on the system and other such factors.

Hope I answered your query.

Thank you,

Rashmi

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?THVjYQ==?=" <Luca@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Installation
| Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 04:41:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup
|
| I want to install windows 2000, but i don't have floppy for boot.
| Can i use the cd directly?
| How many update there are for windows 2000 now?
|
| Thanks

dl

I meant install a Firewall, I wasnt saying the win2k has a firewall.
If you connect to the internet, without first installing a Firewall, you
have a 90% chance of being infected immediately - I've seen this happen too
many times -