Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't find Retail AMD 939 4400 x2 for upgrade. Get OEM?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 27, 2007 10:16:03 PM

OEM has no support and a lesser warranty.. but is cheaper (app 180 with No HSF).
Tho one can get a superior cooling system for 30-40 bucks, and I'm NOT a gamer and don't have a heat problem.
Need mainly for a bit more speed and considerable Bump on Multi-tasking.
Can I even use my single Core 3500+ Heat sink on a Dual Core 4400+ ? (I doubt it)

While the few retail processors around are bringing big bucks on ebay etc. Like 280 for a 4400 but can be found periodically and if you want to pay.

There just are no sites left with retail processors for 939. None.

So what should I do?


AMD 3500+
160GB WD
1 GB Corsair (with 2GB OCZ coming)
GeForce 7300GS
430W Thermaltake
Virgo Case, 2x 120mm 1x 80mm
February 27, 2007 10:29:33 PM

Thanks much for your reply!

There's one/Retail version available right now on the most famous auction site (w 'Buy it now') for the price I mentioned ($280 w ship). That way I also get phone support and warranty for 3 years. (I think it's BIOS 1017)

While a site we all know and love has the OEM version for 180 w/o the HSF which can be had for 30-50 bucks; total 230.
(And that HSF will probably be better.)

I don't know if naming Retailers or auction sites is allowed here- thus the vaguer references.
February 27, 2007 10:52:05 PM

Quote:
Can I even use my single Core 3500+ Heat sink on a Dual Core 4400+ ?


yes you can.
but you might want to get an aftermarket later on.
Related resources
February 27, 2007 11:12:53 PM

oem fx-60's have a 3 yr warranty -so whats the issue? $300 at tiger


put an am2 mobo and use the same brand chip set - the hard drive most likely will fire right up to the windows screen

unistall all devices and delete the drivers - fire up the system with the old hard drive and load new drivers

if it does not fire up - reinstall windows
February 27, 2007 11:18:39 PM

Quote:
oem fx-60's have a 3 yr warranty -so whats the issue? $300 at tiger


put an am2 mobo and use the same brand chip set - the hard drive most likely will fire right up to the windows screen

unistall all devices and delete the drivers - fire up the system with the old hard drive and load new drivers

if it does not fire up - reinstall windows


and dont forget the memory. those 184pins should work just fine
with 240pins :roll:

also that 939pin and 940pin fit too :roll:
February 27, 2007 11:24:16 PM

Quote:
OEM has no support and a lesser warranty.. but is cheaper (app 180 with No HSF).
Tho one can get a superior cooling system for 30-40 bucks, and I'm NOT a gamer and don't have a heat problem.
Need mainly for a bit more speed and considerable Bump on Multi-tasking.
Can I even use my single Core 3500+ Heat sink on a Dual Core 4400+ ? (I doubt it)

While the few retail processors around are bringing big bucks on ebay etc. Like 280 for a 4400 but can be found periodically and if you want to pay.

There just are no sites left with retail processors for 939. None.

So what should I do?


AMD 3500+
160GB WD
1 GB Corsair (with 2GB OCZ coming)
GeForce 7300GS
430W Thermaltake
Virgo Case, 2x 120mm 1x 80mm


There are still 939 chips around. They are mostly Opteron but the 1xx series is really cheap right now and Opteron OCs much better than X2. Newegg has all of the Opterons. The 180 is less than $300 at 2.4GHz. It will run close to 3GHz.
February 27, 2007 11:29:23 PM

Thank you all very much!

I know about the newegg one. They even ran out for a while and now it's back in stock .. funny... They just raised it $10 since yesterday. Now 190.
They must have seen me coming!

This seems like great HSF, Zalman, but probably More than I need> 49.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
(also may be large)

Less, Thermaltake, but still looks adequate to me at 29: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

Both are Quiet which I like and why I chose them as opposed to some Tornado for OCers :^)

.
February 27, 2007 11:37:16 PM

Quote:
They even ran out for a while and now it's back in stock .. funny... They just raised it $10 since yesterday. Now 190.
They must have seen me coming!


thats what happens to me all the time :lol: 

if you want a good cheap cooler try this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

oh nevermind they use to be 19.99 i got mine for 39.99 for the first one
and 29.99 for the secound.

60$ bucks 8O
February 27, 2007 11:37:30 PM

I apparently got the last of the OEM 4800+ off of newegg, back a few months ago. I switch back and forth on OEM and retail. I've not had a Processor or HDD die yet within the normal support windows, so retail wouldn't have served me any better.

If the price is within $20-30, I might grab retail. But if it's OEM, I'll take it without a 2nd thought
February 28, 2007 12:21:40 AM

Quote:
I apparently got the last of the OEM 4800+ off of newegg, back a few months ago. I switch back and forth on OEM and retail. I've not had a Processor or HDD die yet within the normal support windows, so retail wouldn't have served me any better.

If the price is within $20-30, I might grab retail. But if it's OEM, I'll take it without a 2nd thought
There's got to be Millions of Single Core 939's out there and yet AMD won't even help us out with continuation of them.

You would think, especially now that Intel has the faster chipS, AMD would at least help us Stay AMD.
If I wanted to spend more now I wouldn't even buy a 939, but a e6600 or e6700 system.

I think dealers might be making more now off these than they were when new. It's a real seller's maket because of all the 939's out there.
February 28, 2007 12:35:07 AM

Quote:


A lot of 939 owners are logging this complaint all over the web..... unfortunately, this is what happens when you change sockets. In the case of C2D's, Intel's plight is similar as even existing 775 MBs at the time of launch needed an update to the VRM to be compatible. So anyone with a 939 or an older version of 775 are in the same boat.
But Intel is at least forcing performance-oriented and knowledgeable 775 owners Up to their Own Chips.

While AMD's performance oriented/knowlegeable buyers are switching to the e6400 and up for less money than an FX-60 (there are more FX-60s than all other AMD Duals combined) brings on ebay. (!)
February 28, 2007 3:04:19 AM

Quote:
They even ran out for a while and now it's back in stock .. funny... They just raised it $10 since yesterday. Now 190.
They must have seen me coming!


thats what happens to me all the time :lol: 

I realize now what happened.
Tigerdirect ran out this morning of 4400 OEM's... hours later Newegg Raises their price $10.

Ahh capitalism
February 28, 2007 12:10:43 PM

i have seen new egg go from in stock to out of stock and in stock again with the s939,s on a day to day basis.

i ran the little vista test at nvidia,s website (amd has the same test) on thier site too.

my x2 4400 set-up is right at the optimal setting.
i ran the same test on my 3700+ and got just bearly over the minimum
specs.
both of my sys,s are similar except one is dualcore and has 2 gigs and the single core has only one gig of memory.

so i am going to get another dualcore for my other computer.
maybe the oem 4400 or an opty.
February 28, 2007 8:04:57 PM

So.......
Newegg raised it another $10 today to 199. for OEM

The guy who was selling 2 NIB retail 4400s for $268 sold them both...
BUT.. he had a third one, open box but with Heat sink untouched, that he just tested a MB with and it was the 89W version for 269... as opposed to to the other 2 which were 110W.

So screw newegg- they made my decision ..I bought the ebay sellers Retail open box 89W version.

I think this works better for my [New] 430W Thermaltake power supply and because this processor is the lower watt version, the Stock Heatsink will probably be just fine, where on the 110W I probably would have replaced it.

Also be happy for the support on my first self-installed CPU upgrade and of course the 3 year AMD Warranty.

I'll keep you posted.
Can't wait to put in OCZ 2GB (2-3-2-5) and the 4400 Dual... should make a significant difference.
What with Norton Internet security Gobbling memory and always running- I'm Multitasking as soon as I open just one IE window!

thx
February 28, 2007 8:36:45 PM

I just bought an OEM FX-60 bundled with a Mach Speed Nforce 4 mobo for $319 off of TigerDirect. they have other decent bundles as well. Price was funny because they were charging $349 for just an OEM FX-60 :?
March 2, 2007 1:04:45 AM

Good Deal on MB and fx-60 above

Some past recent prices on ebay.

AMD 4800 x2 BNIB- 345+19 ship= $364
AMD 4600 x2 BNIB- 255+15 ==== 270.

and current on Retail versions with 4800s all easily over $300 and no 4400's or 4600's available in boxed format:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satit...

In fact, 4800s are selling as well or FX-60s

.
!