Boot-up problems after installing new PSU

Farflame

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
This may not seem like a PSU problem, but I suspect that it is, because it's only just started after installing a new PSU (although I installed a new GFX card aswell shortly afterwards, but the problem had already started before that).

Basically, 5 times out of 6, the boot-up sequence is freezing and unresponsive during the mobo splash-screen, where it says 'Hit Del to enter Set-up' (hitting delete doesn't work unless I've already hit it before the screen pops up, and even then, only 20% of the time). Before the mobo screen I get the GFX card details which look fine, then I hit the mobo screen and it just freezes. If I hammer away at delete before that screen, then occasionally it'll let me into BIOS, where I can just hit 'Save Changes' and it then carries on into Windows as normal.

A few things I've tried - I've checked all the connections, everything looks ok, and once I'm in Windows all the drives etc are working ok.

I've reset my BIOS to factory defaults and then just adjusted the boot-up sequence to remove the floppy-drive option (I don't have one).

Something I've just noticed and forgotten about - I have a USB keyboard, but in the past it was causing lock-ups, so it's now going into the old keyboard slot via a converter plug. Would plugging the keyboard in directly to a USB slot help, and if so, do I need to adjust anything in BIOS?

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

earnhardt

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I'd remove the graphics card, and try it with just the new power supply. If it fixes the problem, then add the graphics card again and see if it works. If it does, your lucky :lol: . If not, then your graphics card is to blame. If it does not work with the new power supply alone, then I'd test the new power supplies voltages to make sure they are ok. At this point, I'm not really convinced that your motherboard is bad, but try that and see if helps.

If not, simplify the system. Remove all peripheral cards, disconnect all drives, and anything else that is not necessary to boot the computer. If it works then, add one component, try again, and so on. That might weed out some other possible problems. Good luck!

Farflame

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
System specs as follows (let me know if I miss anything or you need more detail).

Mobo : Asus A8V-E Deluxe
Memory : 2gb (was added about 2 months ago and has caused some minor problems which I believe are fixed)
GFX Card : Geforce 8800 GTS
HD : 120gb, plenty of space
Windows XP Pro
PSU : Silverstone Element ST50EF-PLUS 500W

I'll try the idea of unplugging various bits one at a time to see if it fixes anything. I'll also try plugging my keyboard directly into the USB port, but I remember it caused lock-ups before.