Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 2100xp shows up as 1900

Last response: in CPUs
February 27, 2007 11:56:07 PM

Hey all,

I'm not sure when this happened, but I noticed recently that my AMD Athlon XP 2100+ that I've been running for over three years is now registering during bootup and in Windows as a 1900+???

How could this have happened without altering BIOS? Maybe I did and don't remember?

Anyhow, I'm running on a Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo. I did just recently flash the BIOS, but I think this 1900 problem was going on before that...

So, I know currently the CPU frequency in BIOS is set at 133, which is what I thought it should be anyhow? When I try to bump it up to 166, the chip will register at 2500+, but it will crash during bootup...

I know the 2100+ is great for overclocking, but I've never attempted it. So, if you've got advice on how to return my chip to it's normal speed, if you also have insight on how to use this navigate this mobo to get the chip to operate stable at 166, that would be awesome (because, then my 3200 ram could go at full speed, right?).

Windows XP Pro, SP2, all current updates
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS 3200
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Hey all,

I'm not sure when this happened, but I noticed recently that my AMD Athlon XP 2100+ that I've been running for over three years is now registering during bootup and in Windows as a 1900+???

How could this have happened without altering BIOS? Maybe I did and don't remember?

Anyhow, I'm running on a Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo. I did just recently flash the BIOS, but I think this 1900 problem was going on before that...

So, I know currently the CPU frequency in BIOS is set at 133, which is what I thought it should be anyhow? When I try to bump it up to 166, the chip will register at 2500+, but it will crash during bootup...

I know the 2100+ is great for overclocking, but I've never attempted it. So, if you've got advice on how to return my chip to it's normal speed, if you also have insight on how to use this navigate this mobo to get the chip to operate stable at 166, that would be awesome (because, then my 3200 ram could go at full speed, right?).

Thanks!

Windows XP Pro, SP2, all current updates
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS 3200
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
February 28, 2007 1:07:21 AM

this happened to my old 1900. read as a "1600". f that shat. there was something not auto detecting right in the BIOS. look around you'll see it.
February 28, 2007 1:10:23 AM

I'd try making the BIOS re-detect the CPU to see if it will properly detect your CPU.
Related resources
February 28, 2007 1:44:39 AM

I have that same board with the same problem! :) 

You will have to manually configure the FSB multiplier. It should be covered in your Instructions manual.
February 28, 2007 2:31:09 AM

Another great Asus product!!

@OP
You may want to reset the bios. That usually fixes a lot of odd problems that happen like this.

Other than that, I have no idea...
February 28, 2007 3:21:05 AM

That would be a Thoroughbred A core, wouldn't it? Or is it the Palomino? If its the Thoroughbred, it should be really easy to get it to overclock to 2500+ speed, as the 2100+ was one of the lowest model numbers. The Palomino would be much more difficult, but still possible. There are many great guides to overclocking Athlon's. Here's one. Right from our very own THG!

That should help a bit.

Best of Luck
February 28, 2007 3:41:30 AM

Quote:
Another great Asus product!!

@OP
You may want to reset the bios. That usually fixes a lot of odd problems that happen like this.

Other than that, I have no idea...

This great asus product has been running for 6 years no trouble use to be mine, now it's my wife's game computer.

Resetting the Bios will yield the same results.

Quoting from the manual: "Since you are using a new CPU or have reinstalled your CPU, the system boots up at the Slowest CPU bus frequency to make sure the system can enter setup menu. Now you can adjust the CPU speed as you wish. If the speed adjusted is too high the system may hang. Please turn off the system and restart to set the proper CPU speed"

If you don't know, Don't tell! :roll:

February 28, 2007 3:43:01 AM

Resetting the Bios will yield the same results.

Quoting from the manual: "Since you are using a new CPU or have reinstalled your CPU, the system boots up at the Slowest CPU bus frequency to make sure the system can enter setup menu. Now you can adjust the CPU speed as you wish. If the speed adjusted is too high the system may hang. Please turn off the system and restart to set the proper CPU speed."
If you changed the FSB to 166 the memory becomes unstable, you need to change the Multiplier which should be the second number under the CPU frequency in bios. I'm not familiar with the 2500 but on a 3000 the multiplier is 13. If you have any of the documentation from the processor it should cover this procedure.
hope this helps. :)