Stuck on PSU choices

ashwarawu

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
Hi folks. I'm going to be building my new gaming compy after the April Intel price drop. I have most all the parts figured out except the power, which is something I really dont want to screw up. I'm looking for a 600-700W thats very reliable. My system will be as follows:
Asus p5b-deluxe
C2D e6700
G8800GTX
Audigy 2 zs platinum
2gigs ddr2 800
1 WD raptor and
1 seagate hdd

duel GPUs arnt an issue for me and niether is modualr cabling because my case is pretty big. Upgrades would be more ram. As for overclocking I will probably go as far as i can without increase the voltage or as little as possible(running more or less 24/7)

a few PSUs i had considered were
thermaltake TT 700w
OCZ gamerxstream 700w
and Corsair 620HX

I really dont know whuch one to chose. please help!. thanks

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hi folks. I'm going to be building my new gaming compy after the April Intel price drop. I have most all the parts figured out except the power, which is something I really dont want to screw up. I'm looking for a 600-700W thats very reliable. My system will be as follows:
Asus p5b-deluxe
C2D e6700
G8800GTX
Audigy 2 zs platinum
2gigs ddr2 800
1 WD raptor and
1 seagate hdd

duel GPUs arnt an issue for me and niether is modualr cabling because my case is pretty big. Upgrades would be more ram. As for overclocking I will probably go as far as i can without increase the voltage or as little as possible(running more or less 24/7)

a few PSUs i had considered were
thermaltake TT 700w
OCZ gamerxstream 700w
and Corsair 620HX

I really dont know whuch one to chose. please help!. thanks

Personally I would pick the Corsair one, it seems to be the favorite of this forum now. The OCZ offers more power, but is also louder and less reliable (power ripple.)

good luck

Marell

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Hi, if I were you, (and I will be because I plan on building a system at around the same time as you) I would be looking at theSilverstone OP750 or even the Silverstone OP650 depending on how much amprage you need. They are just being released and have the 8 pin PCI-E powerconnectors...

Remember that when the Intel price drop happens, they will be releasing the new Bearlake boards, that are suppose to support PCI-E 2.0 standard. Yes you won't need the bandwith today but will defenatly help you down the road if your card dies or whatever and you need to replace to keep the system alive as kid's pc etc, and there is confusion of what card's support PCI-E 1.0

If I were you I would pass on the Sound Blaster POS and consider putting the money saved into a better cpu maybe even a quad... Hopefully the 2900XTX or the 8900GTX will be out by then. :)

Marell

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
There all great power supplies, but i would go for the Corsair one. Best quality.
I second that.

No matter what PSU you pick from the ones you mentioned it will be more then enough for your system. Good luck.