965P-S3 and SATAII HDD problem

oxide7

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I searched around but the question seems to general to find a result.

I just set up my new system, with my main HDD on the 1st SATA port, that one was recognized without a problem.

The 2nd HDD isnt recognized on any of the other ports. 2-4 or even the 2 jmicrons.

With vista before i was able to get it to show up on the jmicrons with AHCI on, but now with xp, it wont work with ahci. so it doesnt recognized it anywhere...

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Splif

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
im also having a problem with 965p S3 and sataII.

im not sure if its driver related, or what, but when i set up my system i have almost constant HDD activity. ive switched HDD's and video cards, even switched ports i am plugging into. tried new sata cables. still havent found a solution for it.

just out of curiosity, what brand and size HDD are u using?

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
It may be because it was set to "Normal" Mode or "Dynamic" mode. What you will need to do is go to the Disk Management and activate it. I had this problem when I transferred my HDD from my old comp using XP (as the primary disk) to Vista (as a storage disk). Vista would detect the HDD but it won't let you access it. I had to "initialize" it because it was in "dynamics" mode instead of normal. You can learn more about by looking at the terms for dynamics volume, active volume, or basic volume under help. You can change it from dynamics to basic, but it'll need to reformat.

Hope this solve your problems.

The following is what you need to do:

To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

If Disk Management does not detect the new disk after you click Rescan Disks, you might need to restart your computer. New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it. For instructions describing how to initialize a disk, click Related Topics. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk.
You can convert new disks to dynamic disks.

oxide7

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I resolved this problem a few days ago, but i cant find the link to post here what the fix was.

It had to do with some driver problems.

I'm currently running in AHCI with the 2nd hdd on the gigabyte sata port.
i then had to install the drivers in XP, and XP screws them up if you do an update. so you then need to go in device manager, uninstall the gbb36x driver with the yellow exclamation mark. you then install the 1.12 driver instead of the 1.14 driver. this should solve the problem and show all HDD and optical drives. you can then update the driver to 1.14 if you want thru that same area. but do not use windows update, it will screw it up.

I know these arent too clear, but its what i remember.