Multiple user profile setup

I am a have a laptop that I use in two settings:
1) At home on my home network that has two other computers
and is connected via either wirless LAN or ethernet. I
don't have a domain set up for this network.
2) At some public access point such as my hotel room,
starbucks, etc.

Each one has a slightly different use case:
1) At home, I want every computer on the network to have
access to the information on the hard drive and vice-versa.
2) At the hotel or starbucks, I don't want anyone to get
access to the information on my machine.

Question #1: How do I do this? I had a general Windows
system administrator spend 1 hour trying to figure this
out and couldn't.

Question #2: How do I use Outlook 2000 from any one of
those two profiles and see the same information no
matter which profile I use?

I just installed my palm software on the laptop and
uploaded all the info from the palm to the laptop. Now I
can only see the contact info if I am logged in to the
user profile that I was logged in to when I installed the
palm desktop! (and when I look under the start menu on one
of the other profiles, I can't even see the palm desktop
software!)

It seems as though this should be pretty simple, but for
some reason it isn't very intuitive.

HELP!

Thanks,
John

john m wrote:
> I am a have a laptop that I use in two settings:
> 1) At home on my home network that has two other computers
> and is connected via either wirless LAN or ethernet. I
> don't have a domain set up for this network.
> 2) At some public access point such as my hotel room,
> starbucks, etc.
>
> Each one has a slightly different use case:
> 1) At home, I want every computer on the network to have
> access to the information on the hard drive and vice-versa.
> 2) At the hotel or starbucks, I don't want anyone to get
> access to the information on my machine.
>
> Question #1: How do I do this? I had a general Windows
> system administrator spend 1 hour trying to figure this
> out and couldn't.

Use a software firewall app like ZoneAlarm, Sygate, or BlackIce, and enable
it while you aren't in your office to block all inbound traffic.

> Question #2: How do I use Outlook 2000 from any one of
> those two profiles and see the same information no
> matter which profile I use?

Don't use two profiles - always log into the same account.

> I just installed my palm software on the laptop and
> uploaded all the info from the palm to the laptop. Now I
> can only see the contact info if I am logged in to the
> user profile that I was logged in to when I installed the
> palm desktop! (and when I look under the start menu on one
> of the other profiles, I can't even see the palm desktop
> software!)
>
> It seems as though this should be pretty simple, but for
> some reason it isn't very intuitive.

You're making things more complicated than you need to - why two profiles?
Install the Palm SW again while logged in as yourself, provided you have
local admin rights, which you probably do.