Dual-Channel Kits vs. 2 Plain Old Sticks?

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Are there any pluses to the dual channel kits? Can I just buy two 1GB modules, slam them into different channels, and get the dual channel experience?

On a side note, will this RAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820134216) run in a DS3 mobo?

Mondoman

Splendid
no you can't. dual channel is differne tand requires a MB that can use it....
Well, I suppose sometimes the free advice you get is worth exactly what you paid for it! :(

Yes, you can just buy two individual modules and slam away. "Dual channel kits" are pretty much just a marketing scheme and convenience. It's the memory controller in the chipset (Intel) or CPU (AMD) and the MB design that determines how picky the system is about what it will allow to run in dual-channel mode. The earliest implementations would sometimes need both channels to have pretty much identical modules in order to run in dual-channel mode, but the latest Intel chipsets even allow the two channels to be populated with different-sized modules and still run in dual-channel mode.
If you buy two individual modules that are the same model number, they're just about guaranteed to be identical, anyway. The "dual channel" packs have gone through an additional test to verify that they work in dual channel mode, but with modern mid- to high-end MBs, you shouldn't have a problem.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Dual channel kits are guaranteed to work in dual channel,where as two sticks bought seperately may not work in dual channel even if they are the same size and speed.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.6 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7950GT KO IN SLI
2X 512MB CRUCIAL BALLISTIX DDR500
WD300GIG HD
ACER 22IN WIDESCREEN LCD 1600X1200
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

memorymaster

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Mondoman is right.... I am almost inclined to say that 2 individual sticks (especially with the same size, speed, and chip) are going to work in dual channel mode at least 95% of the time.

I personally like the idea of not buying the kit and saving a few extra bucks.