Flash BIOS from a Flash or floppy drive, or HD.

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
I want i floppy D with sata. Tired of this ata stuff. sata all around. Ive looked, but i cannot find one. I want to upgrade my BIOS on SATA. My ata is bottlenecking my floppy d. seriously though. case airflow is the stuff

also can you raid floppy d's?

WOO holographic storage FTW!

also sorry to post this in the HD forum, but THG does NOT have a floppy D forum. (Hint Hint)

oh yeah how would i go about doing a bios upgrade of an nice flash drive? that would rock my stuff too. Sweet

thanks for the input.

peace

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
ooops sorry that got a bit out of hand.

hehe from the guy that has From Texas biatches in his avatar. funny. I don't mind though. love Texas.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
ooops sorry that got a bit out of hand.

hehe from the guy that has From Texas biatches in his avatar. funny. I don't mind though. love Texas.

That may be true, but in an actual post it is polite to use proper language because it aids in clarity and makes it easier for people to help you.

Now back to your issue. Your ATA isn't bottlenecking your FDD drive. FDD just sucks to begin with, you can't make a pile of cow dung smell better now matter how much you spray air freshener on it. The same is true for FDD. It is going to be slow no matter what interface you attach to it.

Now as for BIOS on a flash drive. I personally have never tried it and it should be possible. In theory the BIOS recognizes the drive in POST so you should be able to. However, in reality I don't know how well it works. I wanted to do that but gave up. I just flash my BIOS from Windows. DFI is the only board that can do that that I know of, but I bet others can. I think the program is called WinFlash *if* I remember correctly.

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
i was joking about the ATA bottleneck. i want if for cable cleanliness.

I have been flashing my bios from windows too on my gigabyte board (@Bios program) everyone says its unsafe. If you crash or something your screwed. but isn't it the same if you screw the pooch while doing a floppy or flash based bios update?

yeah flash based even possible?

it should be seeing as floppys are on the way out.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I agree with you. No matter how you flash your BIOS you are at risk.

I would expect somewhere in google someone has flashed their bios via flash drive, but I don't have a link on hand or know off the top of my head. You are going to need to format it to a boot disk, I know that much lol.

Hopefully someone else around here knows more than I.

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
changed the title since we have digressed a bit. also why can we just flash off the HD? i don't see why not. you can do it in the windows environments.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I think it has to do with the protocols loaded in the BIOS pre OS load. You have to be able to access and read data from the drive (obviously) to flash the drive and I don't know if it is a problem for SATA or not. I can think up theories, I just don't know if they are right.

It may also be that BIOS images are mapped only to access Drive A, which you can't map a hard drive to unless you are in windows because at the BIOS level it is reserved for floppies.