Your question

First 'potential' home built

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
February 28, 2007 2:37:47 AM

I haven't done a home-built system since back in the 486-33 days, so this should be fun. I'm also not the most up-to-date on hardware spec's; the life of a software developer being chained to his keyboard!

My existing gaming box was a Athlon 2800+ system from a local company. It's over 3 years old now and it's time to replace it.

My goals were to be in the $1,000 to $1,500 range (preferrably closer to 1K), and have a box that will last me at least 2+ years, most likely 3 or more. Most of my gaming is playing MMORPG's (Everquest, EQ2 with minimal effects on, would like to try Vanguard but it locks up my PC in dense surroundings). I also have several flight simulators including Microsoft FS-X, which I have to play with little surroundings on in order to even fly it without much lag.

Here's what I have so far for a system. One of my friends who only puts together boxes seems to like this system, and the only correction I had was to change from my 1950XT card to the 8800GTS (I wasn't up to speed on how today's boards support 2 video cards). I also didn't have an OS, and he recommended going to Vista 64 bit right away.

Any other recomendations are appreciated.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 (most likely will not overclock it)
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Video: EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card (overclocked, will be able to add a 2nd in the future on the MB)
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: ASUS Atlas A-50GA ATX12V 2.0 500W Power Supply
CD/DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner included extra White bezel, with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model LH-20A1P-186
CPU Fan: Thermaltake CL-P0370 92mm Enter CPU Cooler
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD

Using Newegg, this is running just over $1400 with shipping, not including a $40 mail in rebate on the memory.

Thanks for the feedback.

More about : potential home built

February 28, 2007 3:40:42 AM

If I were you I wouldn't jump to Windows Vista just yet, wait until SP1 comes out and when the fix out the bugs in that OS. Just stick with Windows XP for now and wait a while for Vista to mature a little bit.

Make sure you get a 7200.10 not a 7200, the 7200.10 is a new technology than the 7200.

For the CPU fan why not go with Thermaltake Big Typhoon or Sycthe Ninja. It alot better than your Thermaltake CL-P0370 right now.

Go with the OCZ GameXStream 600/700W this should be plenty enough for your 8800 GTS GPU.

Everything else looks great. I hope this helps and Enjoy the new system. :) 
February 28, 2007 4:31:04 AM

Quote:
I haven't done a home-built system since back in the 486-33 days, so this should be fun. I'm also not the most up-to-date on hardware spec's; the life of a software developer being chained to his keyboard!

My existing gaming box was a Athlon 2800+ system from a local company. It's over 3 years old now and it's time to replace it.

My goals were to be in the $1,000 to $1,500 range (preferrably closer to 1K), and have a box that will last me at least 2+ years, most likely 3 or more. Most of my gaming is playing MMORPG's (Everquest, EQ2 with minimal effects on, would like to try Vanguard but it locks up my PC in dense surroundings). I also have several flight simulators including Microsoft FS-X, which I have to play with little surroundings on in order to even fly it without much lag.

Here's what I have so far for a system. One of my friends who only puts together boxes seems to like this system, and the only correction I had was to change from my 1950XT card to the 8800GTS (I wasn't up to speed on how today's boards support 2 video cards). I also didn't have an OS, and he recommended going to Vista 64 bit right away.

Any other recomendations are appreciated.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 (most likely will not overclock it)
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Video: EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card (overclocked, will be able to add a 2nd in the future on the MB)
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400
Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply: ASUS Atlas A-50GA ATX12V 2.0 500W Power Supply
CD/DVD: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner included extra White bezel, with 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model LH-20A1P-186
CPU Fan: Thermaltake CL-P0370 92mm Enter CPU Cooler
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD

Using Newegg, this is running just over $1400 with shipping, not including a $40 mail in rebate on the memory.

Thanks for the feedback.

Wait a month and a half for the Intel prices to drop....worth the wait(4/22). Wait even longer before going to Vista. Get Win XP Pro 64 bit with the upgrade coupon. Wait to install Vista until after first service pack is released. Get the Samsung DVD burner with LightScribe for about $30. It's a nice feature and the drive works without issue. I've got 2 of these.
If you're not OC'ing, why mess with an aftermarket cooler? I've got the hard drive....works as it should.

Having drives in RAID 0 helps immensely if you're into online gaming. I'm one of the first into a new scene because of the RAID 0. I'd suggest 3 smaller drives....2 for RAID and one for data storage.
Related resources
February 28, 2007 4:50:05 AM

Looks like I"ll have to dig more into coolers, as my knowledge there is about a 0 :) . If the one I had on my original list is after-market, it's only because of not knowing. So I'll look at those recommended here. For the cooler and 600W power supply, that looks to be about an additional $35 or so at Newegg, which is doable.

I did some searching on the 7200.10 Seagate drives and found some bench marks and reviews on them, and how they faired against the Raptor line. Pretty impressive. I've always been a fan of WD's, but not opposed to trying something new either. I'll also have to research Raid setup to see if that's a route I'd want to pursue. Some of that's going to be regulated by cost as well, although smaller drives makes up for some of that $$, but I'm guessing raid controllers will add to the cost (again, excuse the lack of knowledge in that area).
February 28, 2007 5:22:14 AM

Quote:
Looks like I"ll have to dig more into coolers, as my knowledge there is about a 0 :) . If the one I had on my original list is after-market, it's only because of not knowing. So I'll look at those recommended here. For the cooler and 600W power supply, that looks to be about an additional $35 or so at Newegg, which is doable.

I did some searching on the 7200.10 Seagate drives and found some bench marks and reviews on them, and how they faired against the Raptor line. Pretty impressive. I've always been a fan of WD's, but not opposed to trying something new either. I'll also have to research Raid setup to see if that's a route I'd want to pursue. Some of that's going to be regulated by cost as well, although smaller drives makes up for some of that $$, but I'm guessing raid controllers will add to the cost (again, excuse the lack of knowledge in that area).

RAID controller? I haven't checked, but yours should have one onboard 8)

Your processor will most likely come with a heatsink for the CPU, unless you get OEM.
February 28, 2007 5:52:46 AM

Yes your MB supports RAID.
Are you planning to use 2 video cards?
Here is almost the same board without SLI
ASUS P5N $119
February 28, 2007 12:26:34 PM

Initially no on the 2 video cards, but I don't mind the extra $20 to go there in the future when another tax return comes in :) 
February 28, 2007 12:28:50 PM

Quote:
Your processor will most likely come with a heatsink for the CPU, unless you get OEM.

RJ, with that being the case, does that mean a CPU cooler isn't needed here? I had seen other systems out here with cooling solutions, so I was guessing that it wouldn't be a bad idea here either. That may have also been due to overclocking as well?
February 28, 2007 1:25:18 PM

While there is nothing techinically wrong with this build, I would redo huge parts of it.

1) CPU - First off, there is absolutely no reason to note OC the Conroe chip to atleast 3.0Ghz. This can be achieved w/o even making any special adjustments. The E4300 is real nice chip for getting to 3.0 w/o needing to stress any other components. In fact if you simply change the FSB on your MB to 533 instead of the default of 400 for the E4300 both chips will run at the same speed and same FSB and yield similar results. The E6600 may be 1-2% faster due to more cache but that is it.

Please consider an E4300 or E6400 to save alot of money and easily clockable to far more than the stock E6600. The conservative OCs will not impact long-term life of your PC.

2) Video Card - Do not get the 8800 GTS 320MB card with plans for SLI.
This will not work well. These cards only have 320MB of memory even in single mode become constrained by memory with high resolutions. SLI will get you nowhere because the added horsepower will not help since the memory constraints are already starting to limit you. Use the money saved on the CPU to get the 640MB model.

3) MB - If you scrap the SLI model for a normal model you could get even get a 8800GTX to start as an upgrade to the 640MB GST you just got from swapping out your CPU.
February 28, 2007 2:53:36 PM

Quote:

RJ, with that being the case, does that mean a CPU cooler isn't needed here? I had seen other systems out here with cooling solutions, so I was guessing that it wouldn't be a bad idea here either. That may have also been due to overclocking as well?

If you're looking to get a nice system built to run NOW, within a budget, and you don't plan on overclocking.....skip a CPU cooler for now. It's a small enough item that it can be added later on. Others get aftermarket coolers because of overclocking, or they have noise concerns with the HSF that comes in the Intel box. Besides, it'll give you an excuse to open your case in a few months to muck around :wink:
!