New Build Problems - Any Help Appreciated

cnanney

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Hi Everyone... The excitement over my brand new system fell very flat this past Saturday when I went to turn it on and it didn't work. I'll walk you through what happened, and I'd be grateful for any suggestions and/or advice .
Everything arrived Saturday morning from Newegg, and I wasted no time putting it together:

-MSI P965 Platinum (thanks in part to it being an editors choice on THG)
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
-Corsair CM2X1024-6400 (2)
-Diamond X1950 PRO 256 PCIE
-Power supply from old system, Vantec Stealth 470W

Installed mobo, CPU and fan, RAM, then video card. Connected power supply, and my front panel connectors, and attached my monitor to DVI slot #1 on the video card. Hit power button, nothing at all. I rechecked the panel connectors, making sure I plugged them in right, and they were fine. Tried again, nothing.

Being extremely pissed off, I went to watch some TV and vent, when I came back an hour or so later, I hit the power button and surprise, it turned on! Frustration returned when 2 seconds later, my case speaker starts beeping, and nothing happens. I gave it 5 minutes, then turned off. I then connected the D-bracket connector that came with the mobo, which has 2 extra USB slots, as well as 4 LED lights used to diagnose system problems. Tried the power again, watching the LED's, same thing - beeps and nothing, and the LED's froze on the combination that means "Initializing Video Interface. This will start checking CPU clock, checking type of video onboard, and initialize the video adapter."

That is where I am today. I have no idea what the code means, is the mobo bad? Is it the video card? I hadn't even installed the HD's, I just wanted to boot up and access the BIOS, but nothing ever appears onscreen. I wrote a support ticket to MSI that same day, but with no response. I was hoping someone here would give me an idea as to what my next step should be. RMA? Something I overlooked?

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Did you load all the driver CDs before you started the system? Should be a video driver and a MB driver at least. How many beeps? (beeps are a good sign, most people come her with nothing. You are close to being done. looking at the PSU, I am not sure it has all the leads you need for the Core 2 Duo system.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
A few things to try:

Reseat video card and make sure you have a power lead connected to video card.

Is CPU fan turning ?

Mobo power connectors connected ?

Sorry if some of these question sound dumb but it's easy to miss something with a system build :wink:

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If the machine turns on after it sits but shuts itself off right away it sounds like a heat problem. I'd try to reinstall the CPU and HSF