XP Backup Utility.....HELP!!!

I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.

Question:
Does XP Home have this functionality?
If so, how do you enable/access it?
If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP Home?
--
Thanks,
Chuck

    Chuck

    The best way for the average home user to back up (save) files is to use CD
    writing software and a CD burner..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
    > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
    > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
    > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
    > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
    >
    > Question:
    > Does XP Home have this functionality?
    > If so, how do you enable/access it?
    > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP Home?
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Chuck
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Chuck

    Thanks Mike.
    Too mcuh data for a 650 MB Disc. Too much data for a DVD even.
    Have installed the NTBACKUP utility from the XP CD.
    Now trying to figure out how to restore a backup if necessary. The README
    file implies that XP Home will not allow me to restore a backup, but maybe I
    am just reading it worg.......
    Any ideas you may have woulkd be great! Thanks again for the reply.

    From the README file:
    NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
    Backup/Restore
    ASR
    1. ASR is not supported on home edition.

    IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality
    will appear to work fine during
    the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home
    edition, there is no way to initiate
    the ASR restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this
    session, install Windows XP manually
    and then restore from the ASR media.
    2. Backup to CDRW
    If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
    You must create a backup set of
    650MB or less and backup to a file. After the file is complete, copy the
    file to the CDRW.

    Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.

    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Chuck
    >
    > The best way for the average home user to back up (save) files is to use CD
    > writing software and a CD burner..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
    > > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
    > > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
    > > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
    > > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
    > >
    > > Question:
    > > Does XP Home have this functionality?
    > > If so, how do you enable/access it?
    > > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP Home?
    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chuck
    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chuck

    If you are wanting to back up more than just data or a lot of data such as
    videos to cd or dvd you should consider purchasing a third party backup
    program. BackUpMyPC (Stomp) is the big brother of the Backup program in XP
    and is very adept with optical media. You can download a 30-day trial
    version at
    http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html (the trial is for 5.0 and the link
    is "Try".

    If you buy an external usb hard drive (I like the portabliltiy between
    computers) make sure you get one that includes backup software on the cd.
    This is actually the best deal.

    > Thanks Mike.
    > Too mcuh data for a 650 MB Disc. Too much data for a DVD even.
    > Have installed the NTBACKUP utility from the XP CD.
    > Now trying to figure out how to restore a backup if necessary. The README
    > file implies that XP Home will not allow me to restore a backup, but maybe
    > am just reading it worg.......
    > Any ideas you may have woulkd be great! Thanks again for the reply.
    >
    > From the README file:
    > NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
    > Backup/Restore
    > ASR
    > 1. ASR is not supported on home edition.
    >
    > IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality
    > will appear to work fine during
    > the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home
    > edition, there is no way to initiate
    > the ASR restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this
    > session, install Windows XP manually
    > and then restore from the ASR media.
    > 2. Backup to CDRW
    > If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
    > You must create a backup set of
    > 650MB or less and backup to a file. After the file is complete, copy the
    > file to the CDRW.
    >
    > Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Chuck
    >>
    >> The best way for the average home user to back up (save) files is to use
    >> CD
    >> writing software and a CD burner..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
    >> > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
    >> > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
    >> > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
    >> > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
    >> >
    >> > Question:
    >> > Does XP Home have this functionality?
    >> > If so, how do you enable/access it?
    >> > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP
    >> > Home?
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Chuck
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Chuck

    The NTBackup program is designed to be used with tape drives or second hard
    drives. It is less than useless when it comes to using it with CD/DVD
    drives. To be fair it is less and useless for most purposes. If your data is
    important as well as saving time quit messing around with NTBackup and
    purchase a decent third party program. If you must use NTBackup you might
    want to switch to it's full featured parent Backup MyPC. It will burn to
    CD/DVD and will also work with any backups you've currently made. However I
    much prefer Acronis TrueImage which does an excellent job.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Mike.
    > Too mcuh data for a 650 MB Disc. Too much data for a DVD even.
    > Have installed the NTBACKUP utility from the XP CD.
    > Now trying to figure out how to restore a backup if necessary. The README
    > file implies that XP Home will not allow me to restore a backup, but maybe
    > am just reading it worg.......
    > Any ideas you may have woulkd be great! Thanks again for the reply.
    >
    > From the README file:
    > NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
    > Backup/Restore
    > ASR
    > 1. ASR is not supported on home edition.
    >
    > IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality
    > will appear to work fine during
    > the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home
    > edition, there is no way to initiate
    > the ASR restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this
    > session, install Windows XP manually
    > and then restore from the ASR media.
    > 2. Backup to CDRW
    > If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
    > You must create a backup set of
    > 650MB or less and backup to a file. After the file is complete, copy the
    > file to the CDRW.
    >
    > Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Chuck
    > >
    > > The best way for the average home user to back up (save) files is to use
    CD
    > > writing software and a CD burner..
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Hall
    > > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    > >
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
    > > > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
    > > > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
    > > > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
    > > > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
    > > >
    > > > Question:
    > > > Does XP Home have this functionality?
    > > > If so, how do you enable/access it?
    > > > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP
    Home?
    > > > --
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Chuck
    > > > --
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Chuck

    Chuck

    There is more than enough space on a CD or DVD for files backed up with MS
    Backup.. I say this because the primary purpose of MS Backup is to back up
    DATA files, not entire operating systems..

    A link to something more appropriate for your requirements..

    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/progImaging-c.html

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Mike.
    > Too mcuh data for a 650 MB Disc. Too much data for a DVD even.
    > Have installed the NTBACKUP utility from the XP CD.
    > Now trying to figure out how to restore a backup if necessary. The README
    > file implies that XP Home will not allow me to restore a backup, but maybe
    > am just reading it worg.......
    > Any ideas you may have woulkd be great! Thanks again for the reply.
    >
    > From the README file:
    > NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
    > Backup/Restore
    > ASR
    > 1. ASR is not supported on home edition.
    >
    > IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality
    > will appear to work fine during
    > the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home
    > edition, there is no way to initiate
    > the ASR restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this
    > session, install Windows XP manually
    > and then restore from the ASR media.
    > 2. Backup to CDRW
    > If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
    > You must create a backup set of
    > 650MB or less and backup to a file. After the file is complete, copy the
    > file to the CDRW.
    >
    > Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.
    >

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Chuck
    >>
    >> The best way for the average home user to back up (save) files is to use
    >> CD
    >> writing software and a CD burner..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
    >> > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
    >> > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
    >> > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
    >> > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
    >> >
    >> > Question:
    >> > Does XP Home have this functionality?
    >> > If so, how do you enable/access it?
    >> > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP
    >> > Home?
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Chuck
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Chuck

    Mike, have you used ASR? I have.

    The ASR wizard copies EVERYTHING from the system drive except the OS. When pressing F2 to run ASR from boot, the partition is formatted, the OS installed and finally the .bkf is restored. This is for XP pro, not home - home is not supported.

    ASR takes too long, I now use TrueImage from www.acronis.com, with it I can create an image of my entire system drive (14 Gig used) in less than 20 minutes when written to HDD and restore it in about 16 minutes. Data is kept on a separate drive.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:O0k2bc%23JFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | Chuck
    |
    | There is more than enough space on a CD or DVD for files backed up with MS
    | Backup.. I say this because the primary purpose of MS Backup is to back up
    | DATA files, not entire operating systems..
    |
    | A link to something more appropriate for your requirements..
    |
    | http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/progImaging-c.html
    |

    | --
    | Mike Hall
    | MVP - Windows Shell/user

    Hi Chuck,

    Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
    > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
    > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
    > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
    > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
    >
    > Question:
    > Does XP Home have this functionality?
    > If so, how do you enable/access it?
    > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP Home?
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Chuck
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Chuck

    Thanks Ramesh.......I now have the utility but the README file has me
    concerned about the ability to restore a backup in XP Home.
    Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated........
    From the README.txt file:

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Chuck,
    >
    > Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
    > > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
    > > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
    > > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
    > > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
    > >
    > > Question:
    > > Does XP Home have this functionality?
    > > If so, how do you enable/access it?
    > > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP Home?
    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chuck
    > > --
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chuck

    Chuck,

    You should be able to restore data from a backup file. But, ASR is
    different. Read more about it here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/asr_overview.asp

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Thanks Ramesh.......I now have the utility but the README file has me
    > concerned about the ability to restore a backup in XP Home.
    > Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated........
    > From the README.txt file:
    > NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
    > Backup/Restore
    > ASR
    > 1. ASR is not supported on home edition.
    > IF you install NtBackup from the CD to the Home Edition, ASR functionality
    > will appear to work fine during
    > the backup session. Since the setup does not support ASR in the home
    > edition, there is no way to initiate
    > the ASR restore in case of a disaster. If you need to restore from this
    > session, install Windows XP manually
    > and then restore from the ASR media.
    > 2. Backup to CDRW
    > If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
    > You must create a backup set of
    > 650MB or less and backup to a file. After the file is complete, copy the
    > file to the CDRW.
    >
    > Please refer to the readme for XP home edition for additional notes.
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Chuck,
    >>
    >> Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "ChuckTheDuck" <ChuckTheDuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have 3 PC's in the house.........2 XP Pro, 1 XP Home.
    >> > The XP Home machine has no apparent Backup Utility.
    >> > The XP Pros have Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup.
    >> > This is a shortcut referring to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\NTBACKUP.EXE
    >> > There is no such directory in the XP Home machine.
    >> >
    >> > Question:
    >> > Does XP Home have this functionality?
    >> > If so, how do you enable/access it?
    >> > If not, what is the easiest utility to use for backing up data in XP
    >> > Home?
    >> > --
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Chuck