Page File vs memory ram (DDR2)

truti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
So i have been searching Google ..and found nothing about this : is page file system Faster/Slower or the same ? as NO Page File if i have 8 gb ddr2 cl5 @800mhz,the impact on games is the hard drive page file system created by windows7 x64 the same?is it faster or slower?? Currently my page file is disabled and i kept it like this about 2 years and further more is there or could be "dangerous" to use ddr instead of what windows wants ??
Any thoughts would be appreciated ..sorry for my grammar it`s clearly not my first language ..thank you.

truti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
i know a few games also require page file..but to my mind ddr2 is faster than a hard drive ,although i don`t know at what speed does the writings and readings are working on a ddr2 ..thank you tough.

This question is sort of like "which is better, the Yankees or the Mets?" (two New York baseball teams, for you overseas types). Some people swear by much memory and no pagefile, some by pagefiles. I don't think that there is a "definitive"
answer.

truti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
yes i read win7 forums and there is no general rule ..but i wonder with no paging file are there any risks involved ,and about speed i did not see any difference with or without page file ,any of you have an idea at what mb/s does a ddr2 is capable of writing and does it have an access time like hard drives?

A pagefile, even one that is situated on a RAM disk, is never faster than RAM itself (a RAM disk is slower because of the system overhead needed to do virtual I/O and remap pages when a pagefault occurs). If you have enough RAM to run your system with the pagefile disabled, there is no way to make it faster (in terms of memory and paging speed).

But if you have enough RAM then enabling the pagefile isn't a big hit either - Windows won't really use the pagefile very much if it can keep everything in RAM.

The danger of disabling the pagefile is that the system may hang if you use up all of the available memory. In my experience when this happens you get a dialog box that offers to cancel the program which is consuming the most memory, and if you choose to go ahead and cancel it then the system recovers without any issues.

Older versions of Adobe Photoshop required a pagefile, but the current ones don't. I've been running Photoshop CS4 for a couple of years now with the pagefile disabled and it works just fine with no issues.

DDR2 read and write, depends on the number of channel and the clock speed, so it varies, but it is in the several to tens of GB/s as oppose to 70-100 MB/s in HDD sequential. Access time is in the tens of ns for RAM as oppose to HDD of several to tens of ms. It is like comparing a Top Gun pilot flying a F22 with a slow person riding a bicycle.

truti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
thank you guys ,i really doubted my ddr because i ran a test "mem test" and it took 6 hours or so for 2x4 ddr2 cl5@800mhz but i know it was a memory health test maybe it works different but then i played some games that use page file and noticed that the ddr was filling very very slow,maybe some isuues with some games or memory leaks i feared because i disabled paging file the software(games) work slower,once i played 12hrs or so crysis 1 and it filled all my ddr that the os just freezed but that`s another matter i think,than`s again.

Some programs do have memory leaks - they will slowly consume more and more memory over time unless you exit from them and start them back up again. That can be an issue if you have no pagefile (they're even an issue if you do have a pagefile, but it will take a longer for it to become a problem.

But that's a program bug - the real answer to that is for the manufacturer to fix the problem.

truti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

like i said in crysis 1 happened once when decided to play the game and search every corner of every map ..i played about 12-14 hours and everything looked good in desktop crysis used 4.5 gb of system ram ,and then once it loaded something bigger and i ran out of ddr:) no big deal just saying only crysis 1 did that from all the games i play (i used crysis 64.exe when it happened but then i always play games in 64bit mode ..those games that have that option :)