Processor Chirping?

bard-one

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Hi guys. I know the regulars around here hear this a lot, but I've just done my very first custom build and it's all gone fairly smoothly. Just one thing kind of disturbs me a bit... my processor chirps from time to time (usually just once) when it comes under heavy work. It's an Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz.

Is that normal? Or did I install something incorrectly?

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
What do you mean by chirps? If something does chirps its most probably your HSF. Just make sure the HSF is correctly installed and no wires is getting caught in the fan while starting up. Its probably because a wire touched the fan and it "chirped". Just move any wires thats in front of the fan and see what happens.

bard-one

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Ya, it seems likely that it's a wire skimming against the fan, but it sounded a bit more like something was fired or dinged... hmmm, I'll look into it. Thanks.

bard-one

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Adjusted my power supply cables and started up again. It still gives a "chirp" sound every now and then. It kind of sounds like a signal being fired, but it's just a single, high-pitched sound.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
On new parts or things that do not get shut down often, a fan will sqeak when starting but will quiet after a few minutes. A fan on my system does that, but your sounds more like a "post" beep.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Sounds to me like the automatic fan control is causing the fan to squeak when the processor comes under load and the fan accelerates.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as you monitor the temps!. If you are stressed, replace the fan.