Hard Drive Dilemma

New IBM xSeries 235 Server came preloaded with W2K Server
installed. However, they partioned only 4GB for C: drive
for OS and on top of that made it FAT32 instead of NTFS.

I have two mirrored drives totalling 73GB, so I could
allocate more space to C:, but are there any alternatives
available other than reformatting the drive with NTFS to
be able to install AD?

This server is going to be used as a Terminal Server for
our remote offices.

thx in advance
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive dilemma

    "JT" <pvtpilot@dtnspeed.net> wrote in message
    > New IBM xSeries 235 Server came preloaded with W2K Server
    > installed. However, they partioned only 4GB for C: drive
    > for OS and on top of that made it FAT32 instead of NTFS.
    >
    > I have two mirrored drives totalling 73GB, so I could
    > allocate more space to C:, but are there any alternatives
    > available other than reformatting the drive with NTFS to
    > be able to install AD?
    >
    > This server is going to be used as a Terminal Server for
    > our remote offices.
    >
    > thx in advance

    There is no need to repartion in order to convert from Fat32 to NTFS. You
    can type CONVERT /? at a command prompt for a possible option.

    CONVERT c: /FS:NTFS to convert the c drive.

    It worked flawlessly....I was able to install AD
    afterwards....thx

    Cross-post when necessary, but never multi-post. Cross-posting is when you
    include two or more groups in the "Newsgroups:" section. In this scenario
    the message and all responses are seen in all groups that the message was
    cross-posted to. In other words any replies will automatically propagate to
    the other newsgroup posts.

    Multi-posting is when you post the same message to two or more groups
    individually. In this scenario the message is seen in the groups it is
    posted to, but the responses are only seen attached to the message (unless
    you cross-post the reply) in which the response was made. So those that
    frequent these groups then need to deal with or re-read the posts. It may
    seem like a small thing to keep track of. But some of us actively traverse
    50 or more groups. The poster also then must search out all of the posts to
    see if there was a response.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "JT" wrote:
    | New IBM xSeries 235 Server came preloaded with W2K Server
    | installed. However, they partioned only 4GB for C: drive
    | for OS and on top of that made it FAT32 instead of NTFS.
    |
    | I have two mirrored drives totalling 73GB, so I could
    | allocate more space to C:, but are there any alternatives
    | available other than reformatting the drive with NTFS to
    | be able to install AD?
    |
    | This server is going to be used as a Terminal Server for
    | our remote offices.
    |
    | thx in advance

    Instead of multi posting, please cross post in future, by entering all
    addressess seperated by colon, in the address box. That way we could all
    follow the posts in whichever ng

    "JT" <pvtpilot@dtnspeed.net> wrote in message
    > New IBM xSeries 235 Server came preloaded with W2K Server
    > installed. However, they partioned only 4GB for C: drive
    > for OS and on top of that made it FAT32 instead of NTFS.
    >
    > I have two mirrored drives totalling 73GB, so I could
    > allocate more space to C:, but are there any alternatives
    > available other than reformatting the drive with NTFS to
    > be able to install AD?
    >
    > This server is going to be used as a Terminal Server for
    > our remote offices.
    >
    > thx in advance

Hard Drives Servers Windows