Fan Speen Controller

It is a decent controller for the price, but I am not a big fan of the voltage-regulator fan controllers... They get a bit hot for my liking when it soakes up all the volts for low fan voltage :(

Zalman ZM-MFC1 review @ modthebox[/url]"]
zalman11_new.jpg

If you really want quiet, get a digital PWM controller that at least uses an LM* based IC controller (here and here for more detail)

I got an Aerocool gatewatch you can manually select the RPM and not worry about the voltage. It is usually lambasted since it can't do the auto-temp fan control it boasts, but I got it because it had PWM fan control, and looked cool :wink:

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Looks like a great device... Maybe I can free up some room for that monster. Any other devices use that new-fangled regulation you describe that you know of?

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I have one of those Zalman controllers, and I like it and I think it looks cool too. Goes quite well with my silver case and blue led fans. I didn't want a controller with temperature alarms and things like that. I just wanted one with knobs that are easy to control.

One thing to be aware of about this controller, is that the two switches don't have fan connectors on them. You have to connect wires directly to them by pushing the wire into a little hole and then tightening a screw to hold it in place.

What the other guy said about lowering the voltage further is right. 5v is close to as low as you can go and still have the fans operate. The fans are very quiet when turned all the way down. I have a 120mm fan on one of the switches and it makes a huge difference in the noise when the switch is set to 5v. I almost can't tell the difference in noise between off and 5v. 5v still moves a decent amount of air with that 120mm fan too.