Can't do a clean installation after I changed the power su..

grace

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2004

My old computer hasn't been used for about 1 year since
its power supply (AT style) died. Yeasterday I found a
new AT power supply and installed it in my computer. My
computer began to start up. However It restarted over and
over by itself but never succeeded. So I used Windows
2000 CD to do a clean installation. But it failed. When
the screen display: "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM. Press any
key to boot from CD" for a while, it display a error
message:"NTLDR is missing. Press CTRL+AIT+DEL to
restart." I restarted it for several times, didn't work.

I read a Microsoft knowledge Base article numbered
318728. It says "This problem may occur if the BIOS on
your computer is outdated" or "one or more of the
following windows boot files are missing or damaged:
NTLDR, Ntdetect.com, Boot.ini." I don't undedrstand that
my computer had windows 2000 installed and run for a long
time before the power supply died. How come the BIOS is
outdated? And even if the boot files missed, I tried to
do a clean installation here but not succeed. My CD
should not have problem. I used it to install before.
Could anybody help me? Thanks very

much.

GRACE

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]