cannot run MSCONFIG - (want to remove startup processes)

I want to stop a lot of processes from starting when I turn oin my computer. I have removed the unwanted ones listed in start-->programs-->startup. But many are still being started.

I am using Windows 2000 (sp4), have latest updates.

I read that I could do start-->run and type MSCONFIG. But when I do this, I get the error message :-

"Cannot find the file 'MSCONFIG' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

I have search my computer for the program, but nothing was found. Can anyone suggest what I should do ? Is this the best way to stop the processes running ? Also, if I look in Task Manager, it's obvious which ones I don't want running, but there are a lot that I don't know what they are. Can someone advise me which ones in the list I should stop from starting up.

Processes :-
------------
Smss.exe
csrss.exe
service.exe
lsass.exe
IEXPLORER.exe
svchost.exe *
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe *
mdm.exe
navapw32.exe
npssvc.exe
nvsvc32.exe
regsv.exe
MSTask.exe
Mspmspsv.exe
svchost.exe *
inetinfo.exe
iTouch.exe
Explorer.exe
WINWORD.exe
Alertsvc.exe
Hpztsb01.exe
EM_EXEC.exe
Realsched.exe
MSWorks.exe
svchost.exe *
wkcalrem.exe
wuauclt.exe
mpbtn.exe

(* appears many times)
(have already ended processes for CDcreator, winamp)

Thanks for any help.
Ian.
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot msconfig want remove startup processes

    Greetings --

    MSConfig is/was a Win98/Me utility, brought back in WinXP, which
    is also targeted at the home consumer market. There is no equivalent
    utility included with Win95/WinNT/Win2K.

    In most cases, one need only open the offending program and
    deselect the option to "display icon in the system tray" or to "start
    when Windows starts."

    To view the list of your start up programs, look in the
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up and
    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Start Up
    folders, and in the system registry, primarily in the
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys. These can
    also be viewed, if I remember correctly, by right-clicking My
    Computer, selecting "Manage" and expanding System Tools-- System
    Information -- Software Environment -- Startup Programs. To prevent
    any of them from starting at login, you'll have to delete shortcuts
    from the startup folder(s) and/or edit the registry. I should point
    out that, in order to make such system modifications requires one to
    have administrative privileges to the machine in question. I should
    also point out that one should not even consider editing the registry
    unless he is fully confident that he knows exactly what is going to
    happen as a result of each and every change.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

    "ian_will" <ianwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I want to stop a lot of processes from starting when I turn oin my
    computer. I have removed the unwanted ones listed in
    start-->programs-->startup. But many are still being started.

    > I am using Windows 2000 (sp4), have latest updates.
    >
    > I read that I could do start-->run and type MSCONFIG. But when I do
    this, I get the error message :-

    > "Cannot find the file 'MSCONFIG' (or one of its components). Make sure
    the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are
    available."

    > I have search my computer for the program, but nothing was found. Can
    anyone suggest what I should do ? Is this the best way to stop the
    processes running ? Also, if I look in Task Manager, it's obvious which
    ones I don't want running, but there are a lot that I don't know what they
    are. Can someone advise me which ones in the list I should stop from
    starting up.

    > Processes :-
    > ------------
    > Smss.exe
    > csrss.exe
    > service.exe
    > lsass.exe
    > IEXPLORER.exe
    > svchost.exe *
    > spoolsv.exe
    > svchost.exe *
    > mdm.exe
    > navapw32.exe
    > npssvc.exe
    > nvsvc32.exe
    > regsv.exe
    > MSTask.exe
    > Mspmspsv.exe
    > svchost.exe *
    > inetinfo.exe
    > iTouch.exe
    > Explorer.exe
    > WINWORD.exe
    > Alertsvc.exe
    > Hpztsb01.exe
    > EM_EXEC.exe
    > Realsched.exe
    > MSWorks.exe
    > svchost.exe *
    > wkcalrem.exe
    > wuauclt.exe
    > mpbtn.exe
    >
    > (* appears many times)
    > (have already ended processes for CDcreator, winamp)
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Ian.

    Thanks.

    I have now downloaded msconfig.exe.

    Running this program has allowed me to remove some of the obvious processes that I don't want to start when I startup my computer. I just need to figure out which of the other processes are also unneccessary.

    Thanks a lot for your help,
    Ian.

Msconfig Windows