Paging file corruption - can't log in

The hard disk on my W2K machine has bad sectors, so yesterday I bought a new
disk. I put it in the box with the plan of copying (using Norton Ghost or
similar) an image from the old drive to the new one. Unfortunately the bad
sectors prevented the disk being readable and the clone failed.

I order to get around this, I ran the drive manufacturer's diagnostics
utility which claimed to have found and repaired the bad sector. The disk
is still going back, but hopefully I can now clone it. But there's a
problem...

The machine boots OK, but when I attempt to log in I get the jingle, then an
error message saying I don't have a pagefile. Presumably the bad sector
fell on the pagefile itself and it's now corrupted. When I click OK I get
dropped back to the login screen. The happens on any account and in safe
mode.

I've got instructions from the support site on how to recreate the pagefile,
but all those instructions assume I can log in. Since I can't, I can't get
to try those recovery procedures! Doing a system repair from the boot CD
didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas, anyone?

This article may help.

Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=249321

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional