8800GTS Problem - No Clue about what it is

gokhan76

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I think i am having problem with this 8800GTS.

First time I installed the graphic card XP didnt recognize the graphic card so what I did, I did manually choose the driver my self so it didn`t automatically recognize XP Pro.

And after installing the graphic card when you go to nvidia driver properties it shows like this:

http://web.aanet.com.au/gokhan/xp.JPG

But after 5 - 6 shutdown or resttart something happens and XP add hardware wizard finds the card automatically and installs the driver it self.
And then you can see at the top of Nvidia properties instead of unknown it says Nvidia 8800GTS.

So this is happened 5 weeks ago until now I had slight temp problem but apparently it is normal on 8800gts running high 70's C temp. Apart of this big installation problem. it was ok till today.

Today , XP show the exact picture again so it doesnt recognize the graphic card and whats going to happen is it will find automatically after couple of shutdown or restart and it will insatall the driver itself.

Now what do you think guys about this weird problem is there something wrong with this card or something wrong with XP PRO or Motherboard is faulty...

PS: I have no problem at this stage with motherboard what so ever...apart of PCI-Express card. Please Can you help me urgently I paid nearly $800 AU dolar for this card I hope I didnt waist that money...

:cry: :cry:

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
first off, I would check that the card is seated properly, pull it and refit

then, visit the nvidia site and download the latest drivers making sure to select the correct operating system, install those and reboot

then see if you're still getting any problems

(on a side note, I was getting temp related problems after installing my 8800, so I installed rivatuner and set the fan to 100%, now the card runs at 66 degrees at full load - though it is a little noisy so I tend to only do this running games where I have my speakers making way more racket than the fan can)

gokhan76

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
I will try the installing the card on different slot because I have 2 - PCI Ex

I will try that now ...

By the way I have Nvidia Forceware 97.92 which is the latest drivers...

I did start running river tuner yes you are right by the way a little noisy..

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
If that doesnt work this is how I would ascertain what the problem is:

1. Make sure all drivers are updated for mobo.
2. Uninstall Nvidia Drivers.
3. Reseat card in original PCI - E slot.
4. Make sure windows picks card up on boot.
5. Install latest Nvidia drivers. Reboot.
6. On reboot if the card is picked up job done, if not....

7. Go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>under view click "show hidden devices". Make sure you have no duplicate graphics cards installed here or anywhere in this section; also no problem devices.

8. If all this is OK, then try and get hold of another Graphics card to test in PCI - E slot. If that works ok then it is the card.

Hope this help!

M

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
low to mid 70's may be normal for a GTX under load but high 70's for a GTS does not sound normal, especially if its idling. You should seriously check into better cooling for your case.

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
stock, my GTS was running at 70 idle / 81 degrees load, I only ran in to any stability issues when trying to overclock

running rivatuner to lock the fan at 100% knocks about 15 degrees off this

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
well I have two 8800GTX, and they are both running 625/2000 and idle 55-60C and run hard 70-75C, which is why I believe yours might not be cooled very well.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I think i am having problem with this 8800GTS.

First time I installed the graphic card XP didnt recognize the graphic card so what I did, I did manually choose the driver my self so it didn`t automatically recognize XP Pro.

And after installing the graphic card when you go to nvidia driver properties it shows like this:

http://web.aanet.com.au/gokhan/xp.JPG

But after 5 - 6 shutdown or resttart something happens and XP add hardware wizard finds the card automatically and installs the driver it self.
And then you can see at the top of Nvidia properties instead of unknown it says Nvidia 8800GTS.

So this is happened 5 weeks ago until now I had slight temp problem but apparently it is normal on 8800gts running high 70's C temp. Apart of this big installation problem. it was ok till today.

Today , XP show the exact picture again so it doesnt recognize the graphic card and whats going to happen is it will find automatically after couple of shutdown or restart and it will insatall the driver itself.

Now what do you think guys about this weird problem is there something wrong with this card or something wrong with XP PRO or Motherboard is faulty...

PS: I have no problem at this stage with motherboard what so ever...apart of PCI-Express card. Please Can you help me urgently I paid nearly $800 AU dolar for this card I hope I didnt waist that money...

:cry: :cry:
You do realize that Windows XP will NOT have the correct drivers for most videocards, let alone a card as new as the 8800GTS, right? You have to download the drivers from Nvidia's website... :lol:

gokhan76

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Guys,

I have done something today which is I brought one of the PCI-Ex cards from works which is working one Asus 7300GS.

I plugged in to my machine and there it goes same error Nvidia Forceware driver version 97.92 which is the latest one it is saying this:

The Nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware.

Now tell me guys is my motherboard playing around with me then since the working stable which is older generation PCI-Ex cannot even recognized by the Nvidia what is wrong with this systemmm...

Pleaseeee Helpppp,

I am going nuts with this, no solution...

I checked bios if there is any setting specific but I could not find it ....

Please Help guys...

FTCold

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
gokhan,

Do the following:

1. Download the latest nvidia drivers for your 8800 (do not install them yet).
2. Uninstall ALL current Nvidia drivers.
3. Reboot.
4. When windows says it found new hardware and asks what to do just cancel it (install manually).
5. Locate the downloaded drivers.
6. Install.
7. Reboot.

Windows will not be able to locate any drivers for it because it's a completely different driver from the AIO (all in one) package that Nvidia offered before. It seems that you had an older driver installed and not completely removed when you installed the 8800. Always remember that before you change hardware like this uninstall the old driver and have the new driver available to install.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Okay i am going to try to help you :

First of all that 7300 card will not work as you have 8800 series drivers installed

EVERY GRAPHIC CARD HAS different drivers :)

So its no surprise that the 7 series card dosent work.

Clean all your old drivers and install the 8800 series card :D also your PSU

Power supply Unit has to be atleast 500 watts .

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
apart from reseating: clean the contacts with isopropyl and cotton-buds. They turn somewhat brownish ( i was surprised myself). wonder what asus does to those slots.

gokhan76

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for Your help Mate,

I have cleaned all the drivers related to the 8800 series from XP.

After that I removed 8800 and put the 7300GS and installed 93.71 forceware drivers well I have to regret about my words regards to my motherboard grahic card that I put in 7300GS automatically recognized.

Now it all comes down to: It is either the graphic card is faulty or The driver from Nvidia is not working fully with this factory overlocked graphic card XFX.

Anyone has any idea ....?

By the way my PSU is : Antec NeoHE 550W