How to recover multi-boot?

Hi there:

I used to have a multiple boot OS including win98 and Win2000. The win98
was on C drive, and win2000 was on E Drive. After I formated the C drive
and reinstall the win98, I got only the new win98 and was unable to boot the
win2000. But win2000 is still there. How can I recover the multiple boot
page?

Thanks for any help.

James
3 answers Last reply
More about recover multi boot

    You can start the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
    command;
    fixboot
    to repair the bootsector.

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
    use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
    not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer:
    %systemroot% and %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Kangling" wrote:
    | Hi there:
    |
    | I used to have a multiple boot OS including win98 and Win2000. The win98
    | was on C drive, and win2000 was on E Drive. After I formated the C drive
    | and reinstall the win98, I got only the new win98 and was unable to boot
    the
    | win2000. But win2000 is still there. How can I recover the multiple boot
    | page?
    |
    | Thanks for any help.
    |
    | James

    I did fixboot but ended up with "NTLDR is missing" at the boot screen. None
    of the OS was accessible. There should be a follow-up to restore either the
    boot sector or boot record. Any idea?

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :OCM4#UeXEHA.1144@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > You can start the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
    > command;
    > fixboot
    > to repair the bootsector.
    >
    > To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
    > Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
    > floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup
    CD,
    > use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
    > Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a
    Windows
    > 2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
    > Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you
    do
    > not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to
    the
    > computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    > Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    > or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console
    starts
    > in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    > access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk,
    fixboot,
    > and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    > you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the
    hard
    > disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer:
    > %systemroot% and %windir%
    >

    > --
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Kangling" wrote:
    > | Hi there:
    > |
    > | I used to have a multiple boot OS including win98 and Win2000. The
    win98
    > | was on C drive, and win2000 was on E Drive. After I formated the C
    drive
    > | and reinstall the win98, I got only the new win98 and was unable to boot
    > the
    > | win2000. But win2000 is still there. How can I recover the multiple
    boot
    > | page?
    > |
    > | Thanks for any help.
    > |
    > | James

    You can boot with your win98 startup disk and issue the command
    sys C:
    this will rewrite the boot sector and should allow you to start win98

    Also try creating a boot floppy. For a floppy to successfully boot Windows
    2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a
    Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to
    the floppy), then copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it. Edit the
    boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.
    Something like this.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000" /fastdetect
    C:\="Windows 98"

    --

    "Kangling" wrote:
    |I did fixboot but ended up with "NTLDR is missing" at the boot screen.
    None
    | of the OS was accessible. There should be a follow-up to restore either
    the
    | boot sector or boot record. Any idea?

Boot Windows