Upgrading vista laptop to W7

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Im upgrading my grandfather laptop to windows7 from vista.

we are getting W7HP from our uncle, he used it on his laptop, will i be able to use his W7 disc on the laptop im upgrading(my grandfathers), or will it not work since the W7HP has already been used on another laptop(my uncles)?

Also is it even possible to upgrade vista to W7? I heard it's do able but im not sure.

~I didn't know if this belonged here since the computer is windows vista or if it belonged in the W7 forum since im upgrading~

Thanks,

-Austin

Solution
Do you want oem or retail?

What is the difference between the OEM, and the Retail version of Windows 7?

There are 3 major differences between these 2 items. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows 7 come in either 32, or 64 bit flavors. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 DVD’s in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be...

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Do you want oem or retail?

What is the difference between the OEM, and the Retail version of Windows 7?

There are 3 major differences between these 2 items. The physical DVD disks themselves contain exactly the same content.

1. OEM copies of Windows 7 come in either 32, or 64 bit flavors. You must decide which version you want, and make sure you purchase that copy. With a retail copy, you get both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 DVD’s in the same box.

2. OEM copies cannot be transferred from one PC to another. Once you install an OEM copy of Windows 7 on a PC it must remain with that PC forever, unless upgraded to a newer version of Windows in the future. Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows 7 cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time.

3. OEM copies do not come with any support from Microsoft. If you need to call Microsoft for support with Windows 7, you must pay a fee to do so. Retail copies come with a phone support incident included in the price.

THE PROPHECY !

Solution
G

I don't know the difference, my uncle got it free from microsoft since his laptop had something wrong with it and they sent it out to him. He sending it up soon. will it tell me if its OEM or retail?

G

oh hell no, im looking to buy a new pc (desk) could i use the disk that comes with the new desk and use it on both desk and laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.