startup problems

i am running windows 2000 and for some reason i went to
switch it on yesterday and it came up with a ble screen
with a error message saying 'inaccessible device' with a
load of numbers after it.

I have tried starting windows in safe mode but it still
comes up with the error message.

Anyone with any ideas or shall i just cut my losses and
format the hard-drive and start again?

This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;122926

--